OSX Mail opens spontaneously

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Jul 16, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I don't have it set to open on start up and it doesn't. But during my sessions, OSX Mail just opens up, seems to send some mail (I hear the swoosh) and it downloads my mail. Why????

Frank

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What apps are running when this happens? What're you doing with your machine at the time? :)

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>What apps are running when this happens? What're you doing with your machine at the time? <<

I have the following open: Firefox, OSX Calendar,Excel, Preview (printed out some stuff earlier) and that's it. The arrow is under FInder and Dashboard on the Dock, but I haven't had Dashboard open today.

Frank

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

What is it sending? What is in your Sent folder?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Clicking on certain links in Firefox (and Excel for that matter, although it's far less likely) could open Mail but it wouldn't send anything. What widgets do you run? Do you have any iCal alarms? :)

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahhh, it's sending Calendar alarms. I guess that may trigger it to open so that it can send. Maybe I should just have it create an on screen alarm. I don't use Mail. I use GMail from Firefox. So when Mail opens, it downloads a ton of stuff.

Frank

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>What widgets do you run? Do you have any iCal alarms?<<

I usually set my iCal alarms to send a message with sound. Lately, I've had it alert me via e-mail. I wonder if that is what is triggering the e-mail, and OSX Mail to open spontaneously.

Frank