OSX Manual/Guide, necessary?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac One, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Mac One macrumors member

I've won NZ$100 ~ US$75 of book vouchers from school for books only (no DVDs etc). However I only ever read a book once, so I've decided to pick up some sort of guide or textbook.
    So any recomendations on a OSX manual would be appreciated.

If, in your opinion, they're pretty much redundant, then I'm going to be doing Mechanical Engineering next year. A general textbook or programme manual (such as MatLab :confused:) would be another possibility.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If they have the Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Formulas Pocket references -- they may be worth a look also.

3. TheZA macrumors regular

I'm new to Mac and I found OSX-The Missing Manual to be useful. I have the Tiger edition, it might be a little while before the Leopard edition is out. It's a good reference for when you need to to something you haven't done before. I also have, oh, what's that called: Unix Inside, OS X Command Line; something like that. I wouldn't recommend that one. Firstly, it dates from Panther, and it includes a lot of really basic information you can gleen from the web or other references. There are a few Terminal commands I do regularly, and I very seldom refer to this book anymore. Some of the more useful commands I've discovered from other sources (like this forum).

4. Mac One thread starter macrumors member

I think I'll order the Formula Reference book.
    I'll consider the Missing Manual in the future, but it is released on 6th of December which is too late for the prizegiving.
    Thanks for your suggestions.:D