OSX Mavericks makes my MacBook Air really noisy and hot

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by eaglesteve, Oct 22, 2013.

1. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

With nothing running, my macbook air's fan immediately goes into overdrive, generating lots of heat and noise.

2. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

3. eaglesteve thread starter macrumors 6502

4. MaulRx Suspended

Mine is really hot as well, not noisy though. SMC did nothing. Something is running that takes all the memory and CPU up

5. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

That is not how you reset the SMC. Shift, Ctl, Option and power all at the same time but you don't hold down for 7 seconds. You just press and release very quickly. You should see the light on the power adapter flicker. Then power up normally and you should be good to go.

6. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Just let mdworker finish and all will be well

7. mdjasrie macrumors member

Yeah, its doing a lot of housekeeping tasks on my MBA as well. Spotlight is indexing, time machine is backing up, and I'm downloading iLife iWorks etc.

Give it time to settle down :)

8. eaglesteve thread starter macrumors 6502

ubd uses about 90% of CPU utilisation. Does anyone know what's this thing?

9. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

10. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

MBA Running Hot

How much RAM do you have installed? 4GB or 8GB. Some people don't know this, but more RAM will cause your machine to run slightly hotter. I learned this from Cappy, one of the best in the Apple Support Communities.

I'm running a mid 2012 MBA 4GB RAM, my fans are just idling. I'm running at 124 degrees Fahrenheit.

Slide023

11. eaglesteve thread starter macrumors 6502

I have 4 GB

12. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Spotlight is indexing... let it finish and all is A-OK.

13. eaglesteve thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried deleting ubd but it comes back almost immediately every time.

----------

Has been going on for 3 to 4 hours now. How much longer would it take to finish indexing?

14. eaglesteve thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, it is this ubd process causing the havoc. It comes in about 5 minutes after shutting down and restarting the computer. Taking up 90 plus % of the CPU utilisation.

15. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

May be Correct

8Core may be spot on. Have you tried what he suggested let spotlight finish indexing?

Also make sure you're well ventilated, I have the protective cover for my MBA and use a short piece of 1x2 wood to set the rubber feet on. Gives it some lift. One note I use my MBA like a desktop machine. It stays put.

It might be worth a shot going to the Apple Support Communities, lots of very knowledgable people there. You never know Cappy might pick up on your question. And when he gives an answer it's well thought out, and he'll give you the whole rundown on Mavericks, heat and RAM.

Hope you get the heating under control .....sincerely.

Slide023

----------

Steve,

What exactly is the "ubd?" thanks.....

Slide023

16. eaglesteve thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like the system was on high gear indexing something which took many hours to complete. Now it is not that noisy and hot anymore and the said process is no longer in the high 90% of CPU utilisation.:)