OSX Mavericks Slow FPS Gaming

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by heartsglory, Oct 24, 2013.

1. heartsglory macrumors member

I have a Mid 2009 Macbook, 4GB Ram and recently installed Mavericks. While I know that the 9400M in my Macbook is not for gaming I do enjoy Doom 3 and some original Halo. Has anyone else experienced slow FPS when gaming on Mavericks? These games on ML ran fluidly so I know it can't be the GPU.

2. AD HAUS macrumors newbie

Same is true of Halo CE

I'm experiencing similar problems. I'm part of a Halo CE clan. I've been consistently dedicating an unhealthy amount of time to this game every day since 2003. Upon upgrading to Mavericks game play became dramatically choppy to the point that it is now completely unplayable. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

3. Oneness macrumors regular

I still play the original Halo and upon upgrading to Mavericks the game is now unplayable due to choppy/slow frame rates and game control.
    I have not tried any other games yet, but if anyone has any insight on this matter I would like to know. I still love playing Halo and don't want to give it up.

4. Oneness macrumors regular

Okay, I have reinstalled ML and Halo again is working perfectly.
    I guess I'll wait on Mavericks until things get sorted out.

5. Turrican2000 macrumors newbie

CoD - United Offensive isn't working anymore too.

6. devoid7 macrumors newbie

Check this thread for a patch for Halo on Mavericks. Don't know if it will help, but should be worth a shot.

COD might have a similar memory corruption issue but since I don't have the game, I can't really help.

7. heartsglory thread starter macrumors member

I can CONFIRM that after downloading the patch and following the instructions that Halo WORKS as before! :)

Doom 3 works okay if I turn down the settings quite a bit. All in all I'm happy. :)

8. crjackson2134, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

This is great news, I have the original HALO and the chief walks and jumps like he's got cement shoes. I'll try the fix tomorrow.

9. AD HAUS macrumors newbie

What is ML?

ML? What is ML?

----------

Which patch? That link references two patches... something for Halo UB and another for HaloMD.

I just play plain Halo. Is that what you're referencing when talking about a fix by way of these patches? So far I tried the HaloUB patch and it didn't make a difference.

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Mountain Lion

11. AD HAUS macrumors newbie

How did you go backwards? Had a backup?

12. devoid7, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

devoid7 macrumors newbie

UB = Universal Binary. I should have just said Halo and left out UB since only the UB version can run on 10.7 or higher.

Are you on version 2.0.4 of Halo?

If the patch made no difference, did you try to tinker with lowering the settings to see what is problematic. Eg, turning off shaders, FSAA antialiasing...

Also, it might be helpful to know what system and graphics card you're on.

[edit]: also make sure you apply the patch correctly; that is, the original Halo executable is suppose to be renamed as HaloUB. The patch was originally aimed at fixing a memory corruption issue though.

13. AD HAUS macrumors newbie

Ok. I understand now. Thanks for the clarity.

yes

I was referring to the Halo UB patch. I haven't yet tried the Halo MD one. Should I try that one? With regard to the lowering of settings... I always run my settings at lowest levels in hopes of maximizing performance.

iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2010
    Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB
    Software OS X 10.9 (13A603)

14. devoid7, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

devoid7 macrumors newbie

My iMac is the same exact model and specs as yours. I was able to reproduce the "slowness/laggyness", but it went away after I had applied the patch.

Edit: you should just need the UB patch, just make sure to apply it correctly. I'd be curious to find out whether this solves the issue for other people or not

15. AD HAUS macrumors newbie

The instructions say to locate your halo app. Mine is in the dock so I found the file it was referencing by right-clicking. Once found I selected the file, right clicked it, chose "show package contents" and found a directory within it titled "MacOS." i opened that folder and found a single file named "Halo." I renamed it to HaloUB as instructed then copied the files from the patch (‘Halo’ and ‘mavericks_patch.dylib’) to the same directory that contains the newly renamed file, "HaloUB."

i then closed the window, launched halo, went into a network game and it was still slow.

The info about this patch suggests that it is meant to fix a bug that kept the file from launching however this was never my problem. It launched fine but its just MASSIVELY slower now with Mavericks.

Sounds like you had the same problem. Being that you have the same system, I wonder why it doesn't work in mine. Frustrating beyond belief as this is the only game I play. I've become incredibly good after playing 3+ hrs every day since 2003.... and to just stop is a jolt to my system.

Thanks for the feedback provided thus far. If you (or anyone) can help me further it would be greatly appreciated.

----------

Disregard my last post. I just re-attempted to follow the steps and saw that I had put the files in the root directory rather than in the directory that is the app. After doing so, it worked like a charm!!!!

I'm sooooo happy. Thank you so much!!!

16. devoid7 macrumors newbie

I looked into the slowness oddity a bit more and the patch is not actually directly related to it.

For some reason, if you double click the app in Finder or launch it through normal means, it can run very slowly. But if you launch it by say double clicking on the Halo executable file in the package contents, it will run normally. Maybe other games are affected similarly.

The patch just happens to launch Halo through a "non-normal" means. If that is how you want to get around the slowness though, feel free to use it = ). Like I said before, it is aimed to fix a potential crash.

17. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I haven't tried it, but I believe it can be done if you have Time Machine and Recovery partition.

18. nickhutson macrumors regular

I don't know about Halo, as I am not a gamer, but I am a user of Sibelius 7 Software and I, too, was experiencing sluggishness within Mavericks (and I still do when I open the program). To get round slowness in the program, I simply open it (Sibelius 7 in my position) and put the computer to sleep and then wake it up - and it all works as it should. Very strange issue.

Don't know if it's a problem with Sibelius or Mavericks, but as the problem happens only with Mavericks, it must be a problem with the OS.

19. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Anyone still play the multiplayer version? It looks like the Halo server no longer works but you own server could work. Can you play on your own server with more than two players?

20. rkile, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

rkile macrumors newbie

found a patch for Halo CE and Mavericks...

I too, updated a few days ago to Mavericks. Works great on everything, except Halo CE (or Halo 1). My son sent me a link, I downloaded the patch and it fixed it!

It's called the Halo UB Patch. Small file, comes with simple to follow instructions, quick and easy to do.

Here's the link: http://macgamingmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18764

Maybe post here if it worked for you or not. (It worked for my son and I.)
    Thanks, Richard

21. Oneness macrumors regular

I had a Time Machine backup and I did a 'Restore' from the latest Mountain Lion backup.