OSX Menu Bar Display Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CBX, Mar 26, 2010.

1. CBX macrumors regular

Hi:

Im running a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac.

Anyway, when I log in the osx menu bar doesnt always show. When this happens clicking anywhere in the screen or running an app prompts it to show up and then all is OK again.

Ive only noticed this happen since getting a magic mouse a couple of weeks ago. Before this I had the wireless mighty mouse. Could it be related?

Any ideas please?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Which OSX?

Do you have applications set to run at startup?

When you have this problem, before you click to fix it, what does it say in bold next to the :apple: in the upper left corner?

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Happens to me but it's likely due to...

1) iStat menu
    2) I have an external HDD connected during startup
    3) You have a blank computer name (System Preferences>Sharing>Computer Name) (There is an Apple Kbase article on this)

4. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, forgot to say I'm running snow leopard with all the updates

I've got no apps set to run at start up

there's no apple inthe top left before I click. The whole bar is missing.

5. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure what iStat is as I'm new to mac and I'm pretty sure without looking my computer name is set (but I will check)

I do have a external hdd connected at startup which I use for time machine. Is this the issue as I've been running this way for a while but only noticed the menu bar issue recently ?

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, try this:

Find the file com.apple.finder.plist
    (should be in Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences)
    and move it to your Desktop.
    Restart the computer.
    (this will create a new file in Preferences)
    Fixed? If so, you can delete the file from your desktop.

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I would actually recommend removing:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist as, to my knowledge, com.apple.finder.plist has nothing to do with the Menu Bar.

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Uh idk u could go int disc utility and repair the disc image it's a possibility but I doubt it will help and it could take along time so use it as a last resort

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Hmmm. That's interesting. So, try this one first. If no joy, it won't hurt to try the other one. Report your results, please.

10. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Calderone's correct. Menu bar functions are handled by the SystemUIServer.

If this doesn't work out for OP, he needs to go into console and search for SystemUIServer errors are being thrown around boot time.

11. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help everyone. I will try tonight and report back as am away from machine at the moment.

Before I do will removing these pref files affect any other things/settings? As I say I'm new to mac and haven't come accross these files you mention.

12. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

I take it I cab find console in spotlight?

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Removing them will not harm anything. Some menu bar items may not come back, but they can easily placed there again.

Also, after removing the systemuiserver preference you can: logout, reboot, or open terminal and type:

Code:
    killall SystemUIServer
    SystemUIServer will automatically restart and create a new basic preference file.

Although, for your situation I would recommend a logout or reboot since it is happening when you login.

Console.app
    This can be found in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app, and it can be located via Spotlight.

The easiest way to find SystemUIServer messages is to click on "All Messages" in the left navigation pane and use search in the window and type in "SystemUIServer" without the quotes.