OSX Messages Screwup.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CylonGlitch, Feb 16, 2012.

1. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I installed Messages for OSX today, but what I found is that since my wife and I share the same iTunes account, any message I send or receive she will automatically get on her iPhone. :( I guess we have to break our phones into separate iTunes accounts; there may be a few things we will need to re-buy but generally it should be OK, but still would have been nice to keep them synced.

2. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I didn't think MobileMe/iCloud accounts could be used for iTunes?

3. TheShadowhawk macrumors newbie

You don't have to rebuy anything!

You can have separate iCloud accounts and share the same iTunes account. :D

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

At least on the iPhone and iPad you can add multiple email address to receive iMessages on. Simply set your phone and mac to a different email for the "caller id"

5. CylonGlitch, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

CylonGlitch thread starter macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Right, she needs her own Apple ID not necessarily iTunes account. Working on trying to get this figured out. Having a problem with their system right now, it says that her email address has already been used but there is no Apple ID with that email address. /odd

EDIT: I think we figured out the cause of the problem. Her email address was listed as an alternative under my AppleID; thus it was using that to connect us together. I think this is all fixed now by removing her email address and then creating a new AppleID for her with that. Tonight I'll setup her iCloud with her new AppleID and we should be all set to go. I hope. :D

----------

My wife uses her own email addresses and it is no where in iMessages; but yet she is seeing every message I send / receive via iMessages. Really odd.

Before the OSX Messages she never saw anything, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

It is starting to become confusing with all the various chat apps in OSX. iChat, FaceTime, Messages, etc. all have overlapping but some distinct features. I hope Apple works this out to be more simplified.

Similarly, Notes, Reminders, Stickies, etc should all be condensed into a simplified app.

It is also annoying how quickly Apple now stops supporting previous hardware. If something is still recent enough to be covered by Applecare, it should also be able to run current OS.

7. CylonGlitch thread starter macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

In Mountain Lion they will all be merged into Messages.

I don't know of any. My MBP that is about 4 years old runs Lion. What hardware, under Apple Care isn't supported?

8. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I am hearing that C2D macs may not run ML at all or with limitations.

Good to hear that Apple will merge all these apps; where is your source?

9. CylonGlitch thread starter macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Lion runs fine on a C2D, no different than Snow Leopard. I should download the ML beta and try it out on my C2D; but I I don't want to do that to my development machine.

MacRumors initial Announcement

10. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

It will be sweet to have all the "chat" features rolled into one app! Thanks for the info.

From what I hear, ML screen mirroring won't run on less than the i3/5/7 CPU lines. Am I wrong? I think that would be a killer feature... and one that I had hoped to see in Lion.