OSX - Network share a specific folder (and ONLY that folder)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wytevett, Dec 15, 2007.

1. wytevett macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I have OSX 10.4.11

I have setup sharing, and I can access my Mac from my Window XP laptop via network IP address. That works fine.

I have drive setup on my mac (actually two drives setup as raid 1) and it is labeled "backup"

I want to share a specific folder on the MAC "Backup" drive over the network.

For example, in windows, I can just right click a folder, and share it on the network. But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do the same on the mac. When I enable sharing, by following the numerous threads on the subject, it just shares a bunch of folders that I don't want it to.

I just want to share the one folder specifically.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. wytevett thread starter macrumors newbie

I shared a folder on the XP laptop, and connected with the Mac no problem.

I guess I solved my problem of transferring the file, but I would really prefer to be able to network share the specific folder on the Mac.

3. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

I was trying to do the same thing, except that I don't have any windows machines.

I was able to use this:

http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/

You can select a folder, choose if you want Mac sharing, Windows sharing, and then it becomes a public folder. Really simple to use.

I believe Leopard allows you to do it automatically. But Leopard's too buggy right now for upgraders.