Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcdoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
I'm an OSX (tiger) newbie but I've used windows pcs for years.
I've also used ghost in a windows environment.
I've been reading about different ways and different programs that will allow you to clone a hard drive and create an image for tiger.
I'm so confused.
Is there any way to create an image on a master mac workstation without using the mac server?
Here is my situation.
At work, we no longer have a mac dept. Basically, all of use Dell techs have to support dual platforms. (windows and macs).
I've always thought the mac os was easier but boy I'm confused about what to do for my situation.
I have over 30+ osx tiger dvds and I figured there must be an easier way to upgrade 30+ instead of doing the install manually on each one.
It took over 30 mins to install tiger on a 10.3 emac.
I'd hate for this to be an all day project.
We dont have Apple remote desktop at work, so that's out of the question.
I read this forum and the Apple forum.
I heard about Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, etc.
Also, I don't have access to the mac server password so that's why I don't want to use that.
Where I work, they are kinda funny about people having access to some passwords on servers.
When I use ghost (windows), I can make one pc the master (server) and another pc a client and copy it's hard drive.
After that, I can copy the image from one pc to the other pcs at the same time. (I don't have to use a Novell or Microsoft servers to accomplish this).
What's the easiest way for a newbie to accomplish this? (I don't have access to Apple remtoe desktop)
I'd prefer to use freeware stuff if possible and the easiest way for a newbie to understand. Any help is appreciated.

Thx!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
What you really want to do is get that server password, whoever is being "funny" about it will get over it. NetInstall is the tool you want, and X Server has it.

pcdoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
I'm going to try both of these methods.
I appreciate the input.
I feel like I'm pulling my hair out.
Can you please point me to some netinstall directions.
I checked out Apple's website but couldn't find a pdf manual.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
This is what you want: NetRestore

There should be some instructions with it and there are good forums on that site to help you out as well. Read through them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.