OSX not discovering flash drive, but XP in Parallels is?

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I've had this problem the other way around before but I somehow got it to work before on both operating systems simultaneously. Now, my USB flash drive is found without a problem in XP, but OSX will not find it. I've tried cleaning both the flash drive and USB port, as well as trying multiple ports, and I'm plugging it in directly into my MBP, not using USB hubs.

Anyone know what I could try to fix this? I need the flash drive present on both systems

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Typically if you have a virtual machine, the default behavior is set so only one of them will recognize the removable drive.

You might want to change the settings / read the manual of parallels.

Comment

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
My guess is that it has been formatted NTFS, try using windows to reformat it and make sure you have it set to FAT32.
Even on a Leopard system it would show up as read only if it were just NTFS.

Typically if you have a virtual machine, the default behavior is set so only one of them will recognize the removable drive.

You might want to change the settings / read the manual of parallels.
I concur. In VMWare at least, if the USB flash drive is grabbed by OS X it is not visible to Windows and vice/versa. Ejecting it from Windows usually makes it show up in OS X.

Anyone know what I could try to fix this? I need the flash drive present on both systems
The manuals may have some suggestions, but if not. Your best bet is to mount in in OS X and set it as a shared folder in Parallels so under Windows it would be seen as a network drive.

B

Comment