OSX Nvidia 9600m GT Drivers? Horrible Gaming...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by S.Bingham, Jan 16, 2010.

1. S.Bingham macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I just updated from a 15" 2.66ghz Macbook Pro (2009 Unibody) to a 17" 2.8Ghz Macbook pro (2009 Unibody).

I play World of Warcraft which ran quite well on my 2.66 model. I had the settings around medium and got around 60-120 FPS. Obviously with the jump in processor speed and the graphics card update from 256mb to 512mb I was keen to bump up the settings and try out the game on the new laptop... The result, 10FPS! Terrible and that was not even on full settings. Has anyone got any idea what the problem could be? Someone recommended I needed new drivers for the 9600m GT 512mb Card, but I could not find them for OSX anywhere online...

I am also running the latest version of Snow leopard, which I assumed would add the latest drivers to the graphics cards on this laptop. If not, does anyone know where I can update the card for OSX?

Please can someone recommend something. There must be something I am missing as I have seen a video of someone running WoW on youtube on full settings, on the 2.66ghz 17" Unibody, getting around 60FPS. So how can the same machine running on a faster 2.8ghz core, run so much slower?

Could this be a Snow leopard problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

3.3 for Mac screwed up the FPS for some people, not for me luckily. The next patch should fix it. In the meantime, you can do this.

1) Close the WoW application
    2) Navigate to your main World of Warcraft folder
    3) Open the config.wtf file in your WTF folder using TextEdit
    4) Add the following line to the bottom of the file: SET gxapi "OpenGL"
    5) Save and Close
    6) Restart WoW

3. S.Bingham thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Sambo.

Seems I still have the problem after trying what you said.
    I am just surprised it is as bad as it is considering I saw a video of someone playing it on full settings with a similar model.

Are there any apps or different drivers to make a macbook better for gaming? Any advice at all for someone who is fairly new to Macs?

Thanks again

4. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

It seems it didn't work for everyone, so I would say wait for the next patch before your worry about it too much, as Blizzard knows about it. Read through this thread, a few people can't get it to work.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=833471