osx on a pc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by -Noodles, Jan 2, 2008.

1. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

I'm not much of a techie but I'm wondering now that there's no hardware differences between a mac and a pc what prevents someone from installing osx on a pc? I'm sure there are barriers I was just curious about how it works.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

there have been numerous threads on this subject. Search the wasteland :eek:

3. CortexRock macrumors 6502

The rules of this site don't allow discussion of processes that would violate the licensing of OSX, but if you really want to know - try Googling 'Hackintosh' or 'OSX86'

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

There are technical difficulties but it's not impossible and has been done. It is, however, a blatant violation of the Apple EULA, so it's illegal and therefore also against forum rules to discuss.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it has been done. we cant provide the how to or anything like that but i would imagine fairly easy to look it up

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Some debate that also. There are still differences that will cause the technical difficulties mentioned earlier.

7. -Noodles thread starter macrumors regular

-Noodles

Search my posts about what makes this forum valuable - I'll give you a hint its not your remark.

As for my question to the rest:

i wasn't concerned with how to hack osx by any means I was just curious about what prevents someone from installing it on any other pc, in a sort of lose and general way. I'm assuming there's no differences in hardware that prevents this.

8. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Apple Licensing is what prevents this. Go read them.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

There often differences in hardware that make it difficult. Why don't you just go buy a Mac. There are plenty of values in the Leopard-compatible used Mac market.

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I think one of the great things about OS X is that it's made to only run on Apple computers. That is what kills Windows, because PC makers will use tons of different components in their machines without fully testing and supporting them and you just get an endless amount of problems because of it. The same would probably happen with OS X even if it was made to run on other computers.

11. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Breaking a EULA isn't illegal.

Hacking the iPhone and Touch are against the EULA and oddly those even have forum sections :D

12. -Noodles thread starter macrumors regular

-Noodles

thanks for the info. i didn't mean to suggest i'm interested in acquiring a pc - I'm actually waiting for the mac pro update and currently use a g4 laptop. I was just interested in this more as an aside.

I don't think I will.

your red herring aside, i was speaking about material obstructions. Speaking as a non-techie it was more a generic inquiry into the general relation of an os to its hardware and what makes it unique to such or not as the case may be.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

interesting then can we have a forum about how to put osx on pc's with that logic which has been established? say for instance i have a additional licesnes with my family pack of leopard lol

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

By the way, if you google for "osx pc" there are "about 550,000" results.

15. joemama2413 macrumors member

now i have about 555,000, 5,000 more in 7 minutes, nice

16. -Noodles thread starter macrumors regular

-Noodles

great, maybe there's a forum there too that likes to discuss these issues instead of pointing fingers in different directions - that'd be valuable ;).

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You really should have explained yourself better from the git-go. Your thread title is terribly misleading. Not that people here want to make things difficult, but believe me, if you give them an inch they will make it pretty tough on you.

18. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

It has been talked about. There have been long threads about OSX on a PC until it crosses the line.

In this end this is a Mac forum to talk about Apple products. There are plenty of places to talk about PC's and what OS's to run on them.

Also to expand on this more.......

I'm sure 99.9% of OSX users here run it on an Apple computer. Now if someone comes asking a question for help about OSX on a PC there isn't much help that can be given here.

Iphone and Itouch are still the same hardware. They are still running the same software. People are just adding to it. Everyone is still got the same basic setup so it is a bit easier to help each other.

Just IMO the best reason why coming here for support for OSX on a PC is a bad idea.

19. -Noodles thread starter macrumors regular

-Noodles

your last point is certainly apparent. as for the first, that's why I prefaced this all with "I'm not a techie." :confused:

It was just a theoretical question about the workings of osx - not a practical one. You know like mr. wizard or nova. ;)

20. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Ohhh I understand :cool:

Have had the discussion many times if Apple should open up OSX or not.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what may this be? i ask if hacking the touch violates eula then isnt that over the line? if you have spare liceses availiable, why not discuss putting it on pc's. doesnt make sense that one is ok and one isnt with that logic or is it just me. either be able to talk about both or none is how i see it. maybe someone can enlighten me.

but then why do we have a forum on windows on mac as it deals with windows. this would be the flip side of it. i would just like to see some consistency

i personally feel neither hacking iphone or this should be allowed but if one is then both should be...

22. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I had OSX on my PC back when and it sucked. All of the steps to get it done were not worth the end result. Seemed like there was always something that didn't work and then I'd fix that and it would break something else.

So, I bought a MacBook, and that has been priceless.

23. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

The last time I started a thread asking about it "arn" give the answer that the line that gets cross most of the time is when people start talking about running OSX on a PC the problem of piracy comes up. Now that is illegal and I 100% agree with the moderation of the thread. It's a fine line and the have a put a line down somewhere.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok true piracy is bad as i have stated many times in this forum.

buuuuuut these forums allow for people asking if a single license works on multiple computers. this is indeed piracy but i have asked why this is allowed and it was because it was all theoretical.

well isnt this as well?

and what if you have spare licenses such as i do with a family pack? that wouldnt be piracy anymore either. just breaking the eula which has been deemed ok by the iphone hacks and the example i just gave about single licenses on more than one comp.

im just confused it appears

25. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Don't worry it doesn't makes sense to me either sometimes. I was kinda upset how a user review of Leopard who clearly download it (pirated) was allowed to make it on the front page. Sometimes things just don't add up :(