OSX on a virtualised server.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcmul, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mcmul, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

mcmul macrumors 6502

Quick question for you guys.

I'm in the middle of setting up a home server to access from work when I need to test things (when I don't have sufficient RAM/processing power). However because I work from a Win7 machine, I'm looking for a way to manage my iPhone (on me at work) and other Mac stuff through a OSX instance on my server (using Hyper-V). This is because both myself and girlfriend share the same iTunes account/music/etc.

Can I simply install OSX on a standard server configuration or will I need something else?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Snow Leopard desktop will not install in Vmware because of the EULA prohibits it (and vmware the company set up vmware workstation so it won't install). SL Server will. You can hack the OS or Vmware to get around this. Lion allows the desktop to be installed but I'm not sure whether it will work with the windows version of vmware.

3. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

What about OSX Lion's EULA? What is 'SL Server'?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Lion, you can do it, SL Server = Snow Leopard server

----------

I want to add that because the EULA prohibits the virtualization of Snow Leopard (desktop). Vmware workstation will prevent you from installing it, but if you have Snow Leopard server it won't. To that end, there are hacks to "fool" VMWare to installing Snow Leopard. I have not tried installing Lion on VMware's workstation version (on windows 7) as I'm only using a mac.

5. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't mind VMWare Workstation not running it, but Hyper-V is the problem. Will Hyper-V not allow Lion to be installed? Any particular reason why?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try it, I only have vmware workstation/server experience with running OSX.

7. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Installing Lion on a VM requires you to use the "Install OSX Lion" app, not the InstallESD.dmg. The results are it is installed and streamed. I have Lion Server running on multiple VM's hosted on a Mac Pro "Server". Works good. Doing it on a Windows Machine... good luck with the EULA and getting around the new way Lion is installed.