OSX Online Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kryptik.Kode, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

Hi everyone,

I am doing some research about online backups for OSX. I have been reading about Carbonite, Mozy and Backblaze. I need to be able to backup external hard drives so I am leaning towards Backblaze.

Has anyone ever used any of these products and do you have any recommendations?

2. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Look at CrashPlan as well (which is what I use).

Key things about CrashPlan is that you can target external drives + machines + friends' machines (if they have their own free/paid account) as well as their online service. Even without an account you can setup one backup set that backs up to anywhere but their servers. The paid account is getting you storage space on their servers and the ability to backup multiple backup sets. The benefit of multiple backup sets is mostly so you can pick and choose what goes where. My desktop is setup to backup key stuff to both CrashPlan and a server I own. iTunes music/etc is only backed up to CrashPlan because of the sheer size of it.

Since you can trial both Backblaze and CrashPlan, I'd do that and pick the one that works best for your needs.

Backblaze may be a little more inflexible, but it looks like the UI is probably a little easier to work with. CrashPlan is more powerful/flexible, but the UI might be harder to work with.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I would second Crashplan+. If you have multiple computers, the the family plan is incredible.

I used to use Mozy, but gave them up because they do not do unlimited versioning (which could be a problem if you inadvertently delete something. CP does not have that limitation.

CP also is trull unlimited. My backup set is approaching 1.5 TB in size for just my main computer. Our laptops, and our kids computers (away at college) are also being backed up as part of the family plan.

/Jim

4. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend BackBlaze. I used CrashPlan (happily) until their latest update which wiped out my settings. After a frustrating morning of trying to recover those settings (the ones that tell it all the folders to be backed-up), I realized that it was futile and that I'd have to start the initial back-up process all over again. CrashPlan had my back-up online, but didn't have any sense of which files on my machine related to which backed-up files. I tried to call CrashPlan — no answer. Live chat — never connected. Email? Never got a response. Two days later they DID offer to help… via Twitter.

I figured that as long as I had to start from scratch, I might as well do it with a different provider. So far so good on BackBlaze.

5. Xe89 macrumors regular

Arq