OSX Panther 10.3.9 Compatible with Adobe CS4?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by potsnpanz68, Jun 7, 2009.

1. potsnpanz68 macrumors newbie

I have a Dual G5 PowerPC with OSX Panther running. The machine runs like a champ for what I do with it. I would like to upgrade to the newest Adobe CS4 because I still use the first/original Creative Suite. BUT, is CS4 at all compatible with OSX Panther, or will I need to upgrade OSX? Also does anyone suggest upgrading to OSX Leopard from Panther; anything to be careful of. I am also concerned about Leopard's compatibilty with my current peripherals (few years old scanner, printer, drawing tablet) The primary use of this machine is for Graphic design, flash, web, and photo proccessing. Any advice?

Thanks!

2. maclancer macrumors regular

I think you can update from Panther to Leopard, I never tried because I have an intel iMac. But I think it will work. If you peripherals are Panther compatible, it will be in Leopard. Now if they are really old, I don't think Leopard have drivers for it. Try to research and see if they have Leopard ready drivers, if not, try to update to Tiger 10.4.11. I think tiger have a lot more support for older peripherals. Good luck.

3. beg_ne macrumors 6502

You'll need at least Tiger to run CS4:

maclancer had good advice regarding your peripherals. It's best to check and see if there are drivers for your devices. They all *should* work fine but you never know.

If your tablet is a wacom it should be fine, there are drivers for even the original Intuos tablet for Leopard.

4. potsnpanz68 thread starter macrumors newbie

OSX and CS4

Thanks for the feedback very helpful indeed!

I think I'd like to upgrade OSX first and take it a step at a time. Leopard should be fine; my system meets the requirements for running it and will support it, it's just the older peripherals that i worry about; i'll look for drivers before i make any purchases. The epson scanner is going on 4 years old, and the hp deskjet is a little older.... the wacom is an intuos 3, so that shouldn't be a problem...

Thanks again!