OSX partition + former bootcamp partition -> 1 OSX partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sailfishx, Jul 11, 2015.

1. sailfishx macrumors newbie

Hi!

What do I have to do to get all of my available 500GB of storage back?

I previously installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS on my MBP Retina 15.4", using Bootcamp. I allocated 80GB, of my 500GB internal SSD, for the Bootcamp partition. This ran fine. After some time I allocated another 80GB of space from my OSX partition for my bootcamp partition.

I do not recall if it was because I had filled up the first 80GB or if something wrong about the bootcamp partition had occured.

Windows 7, through bootcamp, continued to run flawlessly until one day I experienced the Windows "blue screen of death". After trying to reinstall Windows 7, and failing, I am now left with 160GB of unformatted and unallocated storage capacity. When I try to format the unallocated 160GB of storage to Mac OS Extended (journal) it does so without any confirmation of success or error prompts. When I navigate away from the "Partition"-part of Disk Utilities and then back, the formatted partition is again displayed as unformatted and unallocated storage:confused:

Best regards,
    Tom-André

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

In the partition tab, what does the drop down menu display? How many partitions? If anything other than 1, try changing it to 1. You can drag the line that acts as the cutoff point between multiple partitions in the rectangular diagram to expand the main partition as well.

3. sailfishx thread starter macrumors newbie

This is how it looks like:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is not possible the drag the "Macintosh HD" partition into/over "Ledig plass" (aka. "free storage"):(

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Right, but that drop down menu, are you able to change it to a single partition?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The problem is that Macintosh HD volume has been converted to core storage and cannot be resized (if that is what you are trying to do?). Disconnect any other drives, then run the command below in terminal to turn off core storage then you will be able to resize.

Code:
    diskutil cs revert /

6. sailfishx thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean this drop-down menu?
    [​IMG]

When I choose a format and then hit "Utfør" (aka. "Format"):
    [​IMG]

...followed by "Partisjoner" (aka. "Partition"), this is the initial result:
    [​IMG]

Then when I navigate away from "Partition", in disk utility, and back it looks just like before the partitioning:
    [​IMG]

:confused:

7. sailfishx thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds logical:)
    Will this command or the extension jeopardize the data stored on my "Macintosh HD" partition?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Always a good idea to backup first just in case, but no, this will not erase your data.