OSx Partition + Windows Partition + Datas Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by clmclmclm, Nov 11, 2014.

1. clmclmclm macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

First of all thanks for welcoming me on this forum, I just started to use a Mac and I would really appreciate your help.

Secondly, I'm french so please pardon my english some times. And if this topic has already received a lot of replies that I didn't find yet, please excuse me and I would love a link to a clear tutorial.

So my situation is simple:
    I'm now owning and working on a Mac (OSx Yosemite), but for my work I need a Windows partition for Solidworks. I'm gonna use Bootcamp instead of Parallel Desktop for stability reason (indeed Solidworks hates Parallel Desktop). Everything is already set up this way.

My problem is simple too:
    I would like a partition to share between both OS for my Datas or at least a part of them.

So far this is what I think to know:
    OS X partition is an HFS+ format.
    Windows partition is a NTFS format.
    And the Datas one should be an ExFat format, is it right?

What I took a look to already:
    I tried to create a new partition from my Windows side, but I only had the possibility to get around 65mo from it.
    I also tried to use the Disk Utility service, but I can't even try to create a new image from this.

So now, before I go deeper into researches about other soft which could help or other "risky" ways, I would love your opinion on this.
    Good to know: I'm ready to start over from the beginning if it could allow me to have a clean and stable system.

Her we are, thanks in advance for your help, and again if you have a link to a great tutorial that I didn't find yet, it would be great enough ;)

Clem

2. clmclmclm thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright so after 3hours researching, I know nothing more ^^

I thought so many people was wondering about the same "issue". Maybe I don't formulate it properly...

Anyway, I was thinking of doing this:
    1. Restore OSX in order to start over from a clean system
    2. Set up OSX Yosemite and access to the Disk Utility
    3. Create an image/partition for my datas in the ExFat format or another.
    4. Launch the BootCamp assistant to install Windows 8.1
    5. Verify I have a reading/writing access to the datas partition, or reformat it with Windows in the ExFat format...

I think it should work but what do you guy think please?

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Use VMWare Fusion. I noticed, at least for me, that Parallels has a redraw issue with Solidworks. I run it under Fusion (boot camp partition) and it runs great.

4. clmclmclm thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Ayeying,

Yes after more research today, some of my friends told me to use this VM also.
    Indeed apparently VMware Fusion works pretty well with Solidworks, especially compare to Parallel desktop...

I'll try this tomorrow then. Thanks.