Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickyD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
I've been havin gissues with my mac lately and I think it may be the video card. Instead of purchasing another ATI X1900 from Apple, I was considering getting a 4870 and modifiying it to work in my system.

The main question is have is, how well does the 4870 perform on the Mac Side? I am a photographer and edit thousands of photos at a time often opening 50 or so images in photoshop at once. Is a modified 4870 going to compromise my ability to do this?

NickyD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Especially on first Gen Mac Pro, there is really no difference unless you want to run a 24 LED backlit ACD.

CS4 can't tell the difference.

Sorry, I was under the impression that the Apple 4870s don't work in the First Gen Mac Pro. Am I mistaken?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Sorry, I was under the impression that the Apple 4870s don't work in the First Gen Mac Pro. Am I mistaken?

Yes you are.

I have run both the OEM Mac 4870 and the flashed versions in my First Gen Mac Pro, and I confirmed what was first reported by Barefeats...that first gens run them JUST FINE.

NickyD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Well that gives me something to think about... I may be purchasing the card directly from Apple then.

Just to make sure that I am getting my terminology right, a First Gen mac pro is the MacPro1,1 with 2.66Ghz Dual-Core Xeon processors?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.