OSX Photos Photostream Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SilvanSwiss, Apr 10, 2015.

1. SilvanSwiss macrumors newbie

Hi

So after transfering my iPhoto Library (200+ GB) to Photos OSX I have a question:

My iPhoto Events (that's how I worked, i don't have any Albums but many Events) are not in the "Iphoto Events" folder in Photos OSX -> I assume I can just drag all the Events inside that folder out and they become "OSX Photo Albums", also I should from now on then create Albums (since Events do not exists)?

Next question:

iPhoto made a automatic "Event" every month with the photos I took (they transfered through my Photostream). The most recent Event is called "Apr 2015 Photo Stream" so the last one is "Mar 2015..." etc.

Will OSX Photos also automatically download my Photos from my Photostream? (I do not have the iCloud Drive since I dont want / nor need all my fotos somewhere on a server I only want the onces I take with my iPhone to flow into my library just like it did in iPhoto)

Many thanks guys

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

In short, yes.

Photos > Preferences > iCloud: My Photo Stream

3. SilvanSwiss thread starter macrumors newbie

That option is on but in Shared there are no "events" or "albums" just a history on what I have commented on ...hmm my CPU shows 200-300% in the Photos app (since 45 mins) maybe it is doing something

4. SilvanSwiss thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Mrawr macrumors member

I second this question -- it appears that images in my Photo Stream are being added to my OS X library, however there's no setting that confirms this. At least I'm not seeing anything. Thoughts?

6. SilvanSwiss thread starter macrumors newbie

So in Shared i have now some! of my Shared Photostreams.
    In Activity Monitor there is no Network activity which means that OSX Photos is not downloading any more of my shared Photostreams i believe, yet I still get following Icons:
    [​IMG]

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

My Photo Stream is not part of Shared, because it isn't shared.

Individual Events are not created for Photo Stream or Imports (really, both are forms of Import) - you'll simply find the images added to the Photos timeline, organized by Years, Collections, and Moments.

Events had, basically, existed to keep Imports separated from each other (the assumption that photographers are most interested in storing each shoot separately).

Photos (on both iOS and Mac) approaches things in a way that's (probably) friendlier to casual photographers. They're more likely to think in terms of date and place than shoots or jobs.

If we want to keep things separated by jobs/shoots, it's easy enough to create new albums for them. For my professional needs... I had little to no use for those automatically-generated Events. My shoots often span several days (travel photography, for the most part), so I've found creating albums organized by location/trip far more useful than Events. The Collections view is actually pretty helpful for me (more so than Events was) until I get around to creating my albums.

8. SilvanSwiss thread starter macrumors newbie

So you are saying that the photos I take (limit 30 days or 1000) automatically download to OSX Photos still? There is just no automatic "Event" which is created like in the iPhoto fashion "Mar 2015 Photo Stream" etc.