osx programs wont open, just bounce in dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crashtestracing, Oct 27, 2008.

1. crashtestracing macrumors newbie

When I try to open most of the programs that came with the computer they bounce in the doc for a few seconds but never open. In the case of some programs like itunes it will basicaly lock up the computer until you finally can get to the force quit.

This affects most stock mac programs like,
    itunes
    iphoto
    garage band
    iDVD
    imovie
    ect..

but not
    ical
    dashboard
    safari
    ect...

any ideas what the heck is going on... ?

2. mcruzader macrumors regular

If I were you I would download Onyx and run a couple of maintenance and utilities scripts.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

You can also open apps/utilities/Disk utility/high light your hard drive, then click on Repair permissions.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

A corrupted installation can also cause behavior like this. In that case, you are looking at a re-install of the OS with Archive & Install. Run Disk Utility and Repair Disk in the installer first to make sure there aren't any problems there. If you find problems in there, you might consider re-formating the drive entirely once you can figure out how to get a backup made.

5. crashtestracing thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have been more specific in my first post.

I have run disc utility and onyx and I ran Disk Warrior about a week ago...

none found any problems...
    Now I am pretty new to macs but I am not new to computers.
    I have half a dozen pcs (some scattered in pieces) and if this was a problem with windows i would know where to look...

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Pull the program icon off the dock, and then replace it with a fresh copy from the app folder. Sometimes, with updates or other changes, the programs won't launch right from the dock.

7. latlatcheiw macrumors newbie

i have a similar thing happening to me, however i had just taken my mac to a genius bar, and they re-installed my mac OS for me, now some programs just bounce once and dont open...

dont know what to do...

8. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

See my post above. Pull the old icons off the dock, Poof, then open your app folder and pull them onto the dock. You have to reset the link as it were. A reinstall, changes things.