OSX question (putting applications in the dock)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jp93, Aug 9, 2010.

1. jp93 macrumors regular

I just got a new macbook, and I want to place an application in the dock, while removing it from the desktop. How do I do this without deleting the application?

I tried searching but to no avail, thanks for the help.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Move the application to whatever folder you want to keep it in (Applications?) and then drag it to the Dock to place it in the Dock.

3. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Drag it to the dock and then drag it to the Applications folder (or anywhere else for that matter).

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

5. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Actually, you should drag the app to the Applications folder first, then drag it to the dock from the Apps folder.

6. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Dock links follow the application, so dragging it to the dock first or the other way around doesn’t matter.

7. bt22 macrumors 6502

Also once you have it in the Applications Folder and on the Dock where you want be sure to right click on the App and select options and select to keep in dock. Other wise it will be removed from the dock when you close that app. Welcome to the Macintosh experience. You are going to love it once you get used to it. I got my first MacBook in December. I know I love it. The installation of Apps takes a little time getting used to, but you will get it.

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

whats to get used to? Mount DMG, drag to Desktop, drag to Applications.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no need for the intermediate step of dragging to the Desktop. You may drag directly from the mounted .dmg to the final destination.

10. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Not if you want to avoid this ugly problem... Application icons never show up when I do that, they just show this:
    [​IMG]

11. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Only the first time. If you relaunch the Finder after having used the app (either Cmd-alt-esc, Relaunch Finder, or killall Finder in terminal), the "probihition sign" will disappear.

Rebooting does the same thing.

12. liamwillib macrumors member

The temporary icon will go away and the real icon will appear after the first time you click/launch on the program. I don't know the technicalities but I would assume that OSX wont load the real icon (or anything) with the program until you launch it and enter your password. I would assume not even using an icon from the app until u have entered your password would be to stop viruses.

Edit: Lewis beat me

13. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

@Above:
    no, launching the app doesn’t change this. Only restarting the dock or rebooting does.

I would much rather just drag it to my desktop first to avoid this slight annoyance.

14. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Depends on how you use the computer. I always turn my MBP off, so it doesn't really matter.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean? I never get that icon for a compatible application.

16. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Do not drag from the DMG directly to the dock. The shortcut on the dock will not work if you do so.

You need to drag the app from the DMG to the Applications folder. Once the app is there, drag it from the Applications folder to the dock.