OSX read Linux partitions (Ext2)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eluzion, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Eluzion macrumors 6502

I'm setting up a Ubuntu file server on my home network and was wondering if OS X Leopard can read Linux partitions (Ext 2)? I know the network sharing in Ubuntu is controlled through Samba I believe.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations for OS's to use as a file server? FreeBSD perhaps? I'm trying to find the one that would work best with OS X but still be compatible with Windows. Thanks.

2. dyerucf macrumors regular

dyerucf

I had a samba share on ubuntu and i used avahi to display the drives in finder. Worked great, even used it to timemachine my backups from my macbook

3. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

I have my Ubuntu machine up and running and setup samba for sharing. I can see the shared drive just fine in the Finder and login just fine as well. The shared folder shows up but when I try to create a new folder, it gives me an error and when I try to drag any files to it, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Sounds like a permissions problem. Just for clarification, when you're talking about network shares the underlying filesystem type is completely irrelevant. OS X would only need to read ext2 if you were trying to hook up a physical hard drive (via USB or SATA) that was formatted ext2. Over the network (samba, you're right) it's all abstracted via the network file protocol.

Samba supports "guest" sharing, so my first guess would be that you're connecting as the guest user (which doesn't have write privileges) and not as an authenticated user. The logs on the Linux side might be helpful.

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

6. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, good to know. So I could setup a NTFS storage drive and read/write to it from OS X. I kind of figured as much.

As for permissions, I don't know what else to do. My smb.conf file is configured as such for the shared drive:

[storage]
    comment = Public Folder
    path = media/store
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    force user = nobody
    force group = no group

7. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Actually, I'd recommend you use netatalk (AFP protocol) for connectivity between linux and OS X. OS X works best with it. I had trouble with NFS with waking after sleeping causing connectivity issues, etc.

8. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I ended up searching around and came across Netatalk.

Followed this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=410274

Up and running great now. Just need to figure out how to get the second hard drive on my linux box shared. ;)

What do you guys usually format your storage drives as on your *nix machines? NTFS? FAT32? EXT3? Just curious if there's any reason to do one over the other (such as FAT32 size limits).

9. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, is there any way for Windows machines to access my Ubuntu server? I'm guessing Netatalk won't work unless there's some plugin for Windows machines to use AppleTalk?

10. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget