OSX reinstall

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bcbbanga4l, Oct 5, 2008.

1. bcbbanga4l macrumors newbie

so i was wondering if i bought a mac from a friend or whoever and i have my original copy of osx from my old mac could i reinstall it on the new mac that i just bought or would it not allow me to because i installed it on my old mac.

2. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

3. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

I would say it depends on the type of install disk you have (full retail-copy of OSX, or machine specific disks).
    The machine specific ones might not work if you use them on some other type of machine.

4. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

For example, if you have an OS X disk that came with your MacBook, you can not use it to install OS X on an iMac.

5. bcbbanga4l thread starter macrumors newbie

ok no i bought a mac and it had tiger i think on it then i went couple weeks later and bought a osx disk and installed it.. could i now install it in my new macbook that i brought form a friend?

6. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Yes you should be able to install os x leopard on your macbook with the leopard install disc!

7. bcbbanga4l thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome

k im tempted to try it lolz but that will erase all programs and other apps i have installed????

again thanks guys for your help

8. p.luik macrumors regular

There is an option while installing a newer OS to either Eraes and Install of Upgrade. Upgrading option will only update the OS and not remove files on your hard drive.

9. bcbbanga4l thread starter macrumors newbie

will it update the os even if i have the same os i mean for example the mac has os x installed if i install my osx will it still go?

Also should i even do that reinstall my own osx then use the one that i bought of a friend with