OSX Restore on MBP freezes, please help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jusdrifn86, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Jusdrifn86 macrumors newbie

Hey, long time reader, first time poster.

I have a 15" MBP from April 2010

I want to wipe it and start from fresh for my new HDD (size and speed increase upgrade)

Basically no matter how I try to re-install 10.6 it stops at the apple logo grey and white screen.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldxV1FNd4FQ

I have tried installing a fresh copy onto an external HDD (with the intent to manually use that as an internal drive once complete) but it gets as far as a restart and stops at the logo screen
    I have tried holding down option and selecting the disc at that point in the boot, (correctly shows hdd and dvd to boot from)
    I have tried initiating this from a safe mode reboot
    I have tried installing from the running OSX and following the prompts from the OSX popup window.
    I have also tried with a blank formatted 2.5" drive inserted into the machine so the Macbook had no knowledge of anything and was forced to attempt to boot from the disc

I have done all of these before and after a reset of the PRAM.

What else can be done?
    Thanks

2. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

1. Can other [April 2010 MBP] machines boot from that same DVD? Otherwise it's dirty or scratched or something.

2. Have you got access to another April 2010 MBP (a friend ot colleague)? You could boot from that and maybe install onto your machine while it's mounted in target disk mode. [i think that works, as long as the 2 computer models are compatible and they're connected via FireWire.]

3. idunno... try the Genius counter. [call and make an appointment first.]