OSX Retail Availability

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BMX434343, Nov 17, 2011.

1. BMX434343 macrumors newbie

Im sure this has been covered in here ad nauseum, but here goes:

i own several macs, ipads, iphones, etc. yesterday, i decided to upgrade my macbook to Lion so it will sync with all of my other apple products via icloud.

however, the software on my macbook is only 10.5x. so to get to Lion and the App store download, you must first upgrade to Snow Leopard. no problem. so my friend has a macbook pro with snow leopard and loans me his disk. nope, wont work on my machine as although the machines are identical, mine is a couple of months older than his and therefore not a "pro" model so the software wont work on my machine (dumb apple decision #1).

since Snow Leopard was pre-app store, it's not possible to download it from apple, you can only buy it retail. ok, no problem, so last night i drive down to the apple store. the place is packed as usual. i finally find a blue shirt and ask him where the snow leopard software is and...."oh actually we no longer sell our software at retail, the only way to get it is to order it online (from us only) and have it shipped to you". really? really? really?

now i get that starting with Lion you can now download the system via the appstore. however, its now impossible to get to lion without snow leopard. and getting snow leopard is now as hard as spotting a snow leopard in the wild. how dumb is this decision???

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Your Mac being a couple months older doesn't mean that it isn't a Pro. You said you have identical Macs if that's the case then the disc would work. However if you have a 1Quarter Mac and he has a 2Q Mac then yes different disc and it won't work. If you have a Mac and he has a MacBook Pro then obviously they are completely different computers.

Apple expects that you will update to the new OS every time one comes out. Yes we all wish Snow Leopard was in the App Store but that isn't the case. If you updated when the disc came out you'd be fine. Also if you have a friend that bought the upgrade disc for Snow Leopard and not the Mac restore disc you can use that. Check Amazon or like the Sales Rep said Apple.com. Sorry for the inconvenience welcome to the 21st century!!!

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why is Apple preventing the casual piracy of your friend lending you his copy of OSX dumb? Seems like a good move on their part to me.

4. BMX434343 thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds like you might be new to the mac platform. i however, have used a mac since day one. had you also been, you would know that every mac used to ship with a universal software disc that would work on ANY computer that you owned. there wasnt specific disc for a specific machine as it is now...

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have used Macs for the last 11 years so not exactly new. A bit like the locking of the restore DVDs to the type of Mac that they ship with. That's been going on for years too.

I would note that it might have worked on any computer you owned but in this case you are trying to take the disk and install it on a computer owned by a different person that the disc. Of course the copy of the OS that comes with a new Mac is licensed for that Mac only anyway so installing it on any other Mac would be a violation of the EULA.

6. AFPoster macrumors 65816

This is true. However that was years ago and is not how Apple does things today. When the OS X disc's came out they were universal to all Mac's it's just the specific Mac disc that ships with your Mac computer that is only for that device and not sharable. OS disc's are still universal.

7. BMX434343 thread starter macrumors newbie

true. im aware it was years ago. regardless of how apple does things today, its still a dumb decision. i was absolutely ready to pluck down my $$ to buy the discs, hence my drive to the apple store. I have purchased OS discs at retail and yes, they are universal. as my original post states, the problem is that apple now makes it very difficult to get their product. that's just dumb, any way you want to spin it. i agree with the decision to move future OS to all download, but the disconnect is with making the transition (via snow leopard) only avail via disc, and the disc not readily available.

----------

actually, i believe when you download the OSX from apple, the license is for the "USER" and not per the machine.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

For the version you download from the App Store this is true. But this is new in Lion. All previous full retail version of OSX were limited to a single machine by the EULA unless you paid more for the "Family Pack" which allowed installation on up to 5 machines. Regardless this only applied to retail copies: never to copies supplied with a new Mac.

Edit to add: there are a few way to get and install Lion if you are not on Snow Leopard. They have been discussed on these forums many times. You can buy the (overpriced) USB version from Apple. You can log into your App Store account on a friends machine with Snow Leopard and download it there and restore the image contained in the installer to a USB key. Either will, I've read, install Lion on older versions of OSX than Snow Leopard.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

$27
    http://www.megamacs.com/index.php?action=frameview&id=304448837

NOPE. If you buy retail, then it works on all supported Mac.

The machine restore disks are machine only.

10. BMX434343 thread starter macrumors newbie

nope what? thats not the argument here. im aware if you buy retail its universal. buying retail is what i was trying to do. and yes, i am aware that restore discs are not machine specific. but they didnt used to be. the OSX discs that USED to ship with each machine were ALSO UNIVERAL

11. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Read your own quote!

Why?

They are machine specific (retail version + machine specific drivers, manuals (PDF+HTML) and other stuff).

No, see above.

12. BMX434343 thread starter macrumors newbie

They are machine specific (retail version + machine specific drivers, manuals (PDF+HTML) and other stuff).

No, see above.[/QUOTE]

you might want to do a little research there buddy. the OSX that used to ship with all mac computers WAS universal. ur just wrong here. sorry to tell you. ive been working on the mac since 1990 so you might just know.

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Then give us a source, which proves your claim! I've sources for my claim (i use Mac OS (X) since System v7.5.2 came out (machine specific disk for my PowerMac 7200 (90 MHz)):
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2681
    and
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2191
    and
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159

I repeat myself: Give us a source, which proves your claim! It should be easy. Not?

14. kolax macrumors G3

Doesn't Apple offer Lion on a USB stick for $79? Which you can use to wipe your hard drive and do a clean install.

I agree that having to install Snow Leopard then Lion is a pain, especially if you don't even own Snow Leopard.

If I were in this situation, I'd get Snow Leopard via "other means", and buy Lion via the App Store. I see no guilty conscience in doing that if you do not intend to use Snow Leopard and are purely doing it to get Lion.

But if you own a Mac that came with 10.5, is 10.7 really worth updating to? Your Mac could be up to 4 years old..