OSX running on a PC

McFoxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
I know there's probably a good reason why, but I don't know what it is. So, here's the question.....why can't you load OSX on a PC (a sony laptop for example)? Why does it have to run Windows? Isn't all of the hardwre the same?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Apple do it to protect their hardware business. Microsoft don't make their own systems, so they don't care about this.

McFoxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
I get why Apple doesn't want you to load OSX on a PC, but what I was asking it, what is the technical reason for why it can't be done.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
McFoxy said:
I know there's probably a good reason why, but I don't know what it is. So, here's the question.....why can't you load OSX on a PC (a sony laptop for example)? Why does it have to run Windows? Isn't all of the hardwre the same?
It would make more sense, wouldn't it! But no, a computer is not a computer- a mac is a mac and everything else is a pc of ....

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well, somebody had be the first to post this topic for the week -- because they don't want to search for one of the hundred other threads with the same topic.

McFoxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
sun baked why don't you relax and stop being such a misanthrope. This is a place where people come to ask questions and discuss topics. Just because you've seen this question before doesn't mean that I have, or that I even thought that someone else ould have asked it. What are you so uptight about? You have "short man" syndrome.....trying to compensate for other areas by being a jerk?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
McFoxy said:
I get why Apple doesn't want you to load OSX on a PC, but what I was asking it, what is the technical reason for why it can't be done.
There really isn't a technical reason, the block is entirely artificial. A secondary issue is device drivers: Apple generally won't bother including any for hardware they don't ship.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yawn, now I know why you didn't search ...

There is a search on the bar at the top, and those numbers at the bottom take you to another page.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Reminder name calling is the quick route to a close thread and getting banned.

Just try a search, it works.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Bobdude161 said:
NEways I thought I saw a video where people have booted OS X from a Windows based PC
People have done this. They have to hack OS X to make it work, and the Apple software agreements don't really allow that sort of thing anyway (but Apple really need to do something about that shoddy wording).

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
People have been hacking OS X to work on PC's from as soon as the Intel OS X dev. version came out. Apparently it's pretty hard, can only be done on intel (not AMD) and runs pretty much like it should on a mac. At least if PC users do this they'll realize how great it is and they'll turn from the dark side. I'll bet this is one of Apple's secret switch campaigns.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Apparently its something about Apple making most of its profits from the sale of its hardware, over operating system - eventhough the operating system is more advanced than Windows and Linux.

Basically, if you want the Mac OS, you have to shell out a couple of hundred quid for the Apple box it comes in - and I don't mean cardboard!

If Apple sold its OS as an user-installable item, Mac sales would most likely plummit. People could get the worlds most advanced operating system, and run it on cheap, shoddy hardware. Most loyal/power users would go the route of the Mac - and since prices are coming down compared to what they used to be (in some respects cheaper than budget-ware Dell) - you would still probably get some people who buy hardware and all.

But for most users wanting to explore the 'dark side' - they could just buy a disk, and Apple would lose millions.