OSX Running Slow - How best to speed up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BadboyHouse, Feb 28, 2014.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2011
    My Mac has been running slow-ish since it was running OSX Mountain Lion and this has continued since upgrading to OSX Mavericks when it came out.

The Mac is a late 2011 Core i5 with 4GB RAM.

Booting up to the user select screen is pretty quick - it's after logging in that it's slow. It takes a good few minutes from the dock appearing to actually being able to click on a dock item (e.g. iTunes, iPhoto, Safari) and it actually load. The dock icon bounces up and down for a minute or so first.

Once it's up and running and apps have loaded it's fine everything runs quick.

With Windows you would typically format the hard drive and reinstall the o/s after a few years when it started to slow down - does the same process apply to OSX? I'm anticipating not - but was wondering what the recommended steps are when this sort of slowness creeps in. Are there some system cleanup best practices that perhaps need doing?

I only use the Mac for iTunes and iPhoto along with a small amount of Excel files. The iTunes and iPhoto libraries are quite large but there's 350GB free disk space.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    This is the key to your time issue. More RAM would probably help. Getting an SSD in a thunderbolt enclosure to use as you system disk would also help.