OSX saving random images.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Knowlege Bomb, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I opened up Finder and clicked on "All Images" on the left pane and was pretty shocked at what came up.

I have ~3500 pictures in my folders and in All Images there was ~9600. A lot of my pictures had been double and some even tripled and the rest were random pictures from websites I frequent, pixelated flags, company logos from emails, and other weird stuff I'd never save for any reason.

It took me a couple days of deleting to get rid of all of it so I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. Can anybody tell me how to keep it from storing all of that crap?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Were they in your browser cache? If so, just empty the cache and it should remove a lot of them.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's most probably your browser cache, as the 6u is built with many images on those sites you visit.

Look at the many guides out there on how to delete your browser's cache.

PS: My Finder just found more than 10.000 items, how can I view all of them if I want to (not that I really want, was just curious on the limit)?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In Finder, anytime you have more than 10,000 items, it shows the first 10,000 only. Scroll to the bottom and click More... to see up to 50,000 items. Scroll to the bottom and click More... to see up to....:
    Picture 4.JPG

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, thanks so mutch (others do seem to use that "t").

Should have seen it.
    After the first click on "More...", I get 20,000 items, after another click it shows me all 108,374 items.

But I want MOOOORE images than that.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's strange that you get 20,000 and I get 50,000. I wonder what the difference is?
    Picture 5.JPG

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe you got more of those nature wildlife pictures NG talks about?

What do you get after clicking once more unto the breach ... ahem, More?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it doesn't have anything to do with pictures or any other specific file types. Search in Finder for anything where the results are large, such as searching your entire HD for the space character.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hmm, I can't search for the space character (you mean the space bar to move from the last letter of one word to the first letter of the next word, don't you?), but for characters like a and s, both gave me 10,000 results, then 20,000 and finally a had 150,000 items and s staged some kind of coup and is still looking for itself.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Launch Finder
    2. Click on Macintosh HD in the left column
    3. Click in the search window in the upper right corner
    4. Press the Space bar once
    5. Finder searches your entire hard drive for any file with a space in the file contents (or name, if you have that selected)

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Believe me, that was the first thing I did, then I used CMD+F and then Spotlight, all brought up only 0 items.

Thanks for going through that with me though. Learnt something new today.

And s has finished taking over the Finder country and brought up "only" 148,000 casualties of ... .

It's time for some minority letters to start e revolution I think. I call x to the arms.

PS: I'm a little bit sleep deprived thus my use of non-sequitur words.

12. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

First, as mentioned, your browser cache is where a lot of that's coming from.

Also, you get doubles of some images because iPhoto stored an original, and edited version of every image you use. Also it stores iPhone formatted versions if you have an iPhone, which you do have. So that would explain all that.

13. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Maybe I should have come here before going on my delete spree. Hope I didn't can the wrong versions.

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, let's hope! How did you chose which to delete? File size? Location?