OSX says NO scanner selected

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pureelite1, Sep 25, 2010.

1. pureelite1 macrumors member

Before my HP Photosmart C3100 worked fine with my Imac 27" i was able to print and scan without any issues. But lately after i haven't scanned for a while over the summer i tried scanning again and it always says NO SCANNER selected in the open scanner box from the print & fax panel from the system preferences. It prints fine but whenever i open scanner dialog box it says NO scanner selected? Why is it not recognizing the scanner part of the printer anymore? Any help would be appreciated. I tried uninstalling and installing the printer again didn't work

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

3. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

had no ide this was possible.
    is it possible to use a scanner attached to an AEBS?

5. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

I went to the HP website and installed their software/drivers for the scanner n now im using their application HP scan and it seems to work fine. However i am still confused y all of sudden the Mac OSX print & fax won't recognize the scanner nor will image capture?

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Since I don't have an AEBS I could be wrong, but I don't believe that scanning, faxing, etc. are supported over AEBS.

Were there any updates to OS X during the time that you weren't using the scanner? If there were, it's possible that they either changed something or something got updated improperly or there's just a bug or something that's interfering with the scanner operation.

7. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

I think there may have been updates during that time period but why would they knock out my scanners recognition? Is there a way to fix this bug or whatever is causing the problem

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

9. JJP9398 macrumors member

My Cannon M320 does the same thing. The only thing I do to fix it is a power reset of the printer and it works after that.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As soon as I read the thread title I knew it was HP. They make trash as far as printers/scanners/all in ones are concerned.

The last job I worked at we had a ton of HPs (on windows machines) and they all did the same thing. The scanner just disappears. HPs support site is usually broken and a lot of the time when you go to download the drivers, the software would freeze part way through and you'd have to start all over again.

11. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot im gonna try that if it gives me any further problems for now i dont want to mess up the HP scan application which seems to be working