OSX security issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NewWorldMac, Mar 23, 2009.

1. NewWorldMac macrumors newbie

I just went to The fox website to watch an episode of hells kitchen and I had to install their video plugin. I was under the assumption that for anything to be installed I would have to enter my password for the sake of security. This did not happen, the only thing that did happen was a box popped up and I clicked allow. I am a little concerned that I may need to up my security settings.

2. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

you don't want to be TOTALLY desensitized about entering your password for every little thing.

I think it's fine, especially if it did ask you before installing.

I'm not sure what the rules are for what installations require passwords and which don't. If this was just a browser plugin it might be a bit different than other installs.

EDIT: btw, this would have been better posted in the OS X forum : \

3. NewWorldMac thread starter macrumors newbie

It should have sorry, maybe someone can move it. In my defense this was on my new imac, and I'm just trying to figure things out.

4. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

I'm no expert on this either, but the plugin won't need your password as it won't require read/write access to your HDD. It can't really be very malicious if it can't read or write to your files.

5. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

It only needs your password to install something to a location your user can't normally write to.

If your account is an admin account, then you can write to /Applications without authenticating. The plug-in could also be installed to your account's Library, which also wouldn't need a password, even if you aren't running an admin account.

You may want to consider creating a separate administrator account, and making the one you're using a plain old user.