OSX Security?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kingshrubb, Aug 3, 2008.

1. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

"Thinking your mac shields you from all risks [...] According to this year's State of the Net survey, Mac users fall prey to phishing scams at about the same rate as Windows users, yet far fewer of them protect themselves with an anti-phishing toolbar. To make matters worse, the browser of choice for most Mac users, Apple's Safari, has no phishing protections. We think it should."
    -Consumer Reports

What do you think of this? What's the best Program to use for protection? Should we go a step further and get anti virus software suite--just to be safe?
    :confused:

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Consumer Reports makes me mad as heck. The only security threat to OS X (as of the recent patch) is user stupidity. They say that Safari has no anti-phishing ability... It's called INSPECT ELEMENT. You go in to find out where the site is really from.

Anti-virus? NO. Anti-virus for a Mac IS a virus. It's publications like this that make people blow something like phishing (a success because of people not doing research) into "OS X HAS VIRUSES! WE NEED PROTECTION!"

4. munson macrumors 6502

munson

I agree. All you need to do is not be an idiot and give out your personal information to every Bob, Steve, and Joe out there. And of story.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

What the report talks about is 'phishing'. No programming involved... its fooling the user into giving out important personal details often of great economic importance!
    Since there's no coding involved in phishing... its same for Macs and PCs and thus Macs are at equal risk!
    But viruses are small OS specific programs. Since Mac OS has a ~9% market share nobody bothers making viruses for Macs and its inbuilt security is considered to be enough!

P.S.: Phishing really can be avoided by using cs.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'd give my personal info to Steve Jobs any day. More Macs for me.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its laughable some mac users are so blindly defending apple, so its only a security problem when it only affects windows? when it begin to affect OSX, it become a "stupid users" problem? smart windows users don't fall into security trap neither, they also don't get adwares, malwares trojans too. What does that say anything about the security of an OS?

are you suggesting apple store presenting a "smart user test" before selling to users?

Get over it, you take whatever users you have and try to protect them, no matter how smart/stupid you think they are. phishing IS a security problem, and Apple didn't do anything with safari to help users. Thats a fact, and need to be criticized and hopefully improved, by not the blindly praise from fans, but by user pressure.

8. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Ha! Well played, sir. But, I would certainly want to make sure it actually was Steve Jobs, not a phisher posing as Steve Jobs.

9. kingshrubb thread starter macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Lol, calm down I was just wondering cause I'm switching from windows. I'm not trying to say that OSX is insecure or anything. I'm just trying to learn about the security so I know what to do (and not do) when I get my MBP :)

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I personally think its very poor of Apple to not include a 'phishing filter' in Safari in this internet era! In comparison.... ahem.... [this is odd]..... IE has had it since version 7. Now they move to 8!:eek:

11. Aranince macrumors 65816

Agreed...and I'm on of those Windows users(Soon to be Mac).

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

No matter what platform you operate on, the worst virus/trojan/worm is the one that is located between the chair and the computer.