Osx server updates free, when bought?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by velle, Aug 3, 2017.

1. velle macrumors newbie

Thinking about buying osx server, but with High Sierra on the horizon. Is the Updates normally free for osx server, After you have bought it?

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I had purchased the server app many moons ago when it first came out. It shows as a new purchase for me now, so I'd assume you would need to repurchase it for every major version of macOS.

3. velle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx, then i better wait

4. Geeky Chimp macrumors member

The upgrade from OS X Server 3 (Mavericks) to OS X Server 4 (Yosemite) was a paid upgrade. OS X Server 4 to OS X Server 5 (El Capitan) was free. OS X Server is now renamed to macOS Server and is version 5.3 for Sierra. Based on that I would assume the upgrade will be free for High Sierra.

Hope that helps.

5. PilotWoo macrumors regular

Once you have bought server, the upgrades are free.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Didn't work that way for me. I bought it when it first became available on the App Store and now it requires a repurchase.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

Unless Apple decides to charge for the upgrade. Post #4 right above yours details how it's worked in the past. We don't know if the High Sierra version of Server will be free or not.

8. velle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for all the answers :) I'll prolly just wait to be sure :)

9. PilotWoo, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

PilotWoo macrumors regular

Perhaps you were using a really old version? The last three upgrades have been free for me. I purchased at the Mavericks release and I am now running Sierra. I am running the latest version and have never paid for an upgrade.
    • OS X 10.9 Mavericks
    • OS X 10.10: Yosemite
    • OS X 10.11: El Capitan
    • macOS 10.12: Sierra