OSX settings won't save

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Babyboi, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Babyboi macrumors regular

Hello all, i've been going through an issue on my macbook pro that i can't seem to fix.

It started happening after i applied the 10.6.8 update. the issue is my settings from various applications won't save. for example: my trackpad settings in system prefs won't save (tap to click, dragging, secondary click)
    itunes asks if i will accept license agreement on every startup, keychain won't update password, and things like that.

i read somewhere that i should repair disk permissions. i have done that and still have the same problem.

i'm not sure what's going on but would like some help on resolving the issue.
    (**my macbook pro i'm using was a restored backup from my imac's time machine if this has to do with anything)

2. Sal Collaziano macrumors regular

Has anyone ever come up with a solution for this? I've had three 17" MBPs and 2 13" MBPs and both 13"s have this issue. I'd love to get it resolved...

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Weird. Shot in the dark here. Try creating a new user account and see if the problems follow to the new user account.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

If they don't it's most def a permissions issue. Most radical of which is a false ownership of folders/files. Disk Utility's permission repair may not fix ownership issues either, I'm afraid.

5. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

It won't fix user permissions because it has no way to know what the correct permissions are. Fix permissions scans system files and checks them against a list of files and their correct permissions.