OSX Sever and Time Machine Back-Up for Remote Computers

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by dgbarar, Dec 10, 2018.

1. dgbarar macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2018 Mac Mini operating under OSX 10.14.2 and OSX Server 5.7.1. There is an external drive mounted on the Mini. I would like to perform a Time Machine back-up of my MacBook Pro also operating under OSX 10.14.2 to the external drive I have mounted on the Mac Mini.

I know that I have done this several years ago with a Mac Mini/OSX Server. However, I am unable to find any settings in OSX Server on the Mini nor in Time Machine preferences on the MacBook Pro can I find the external drive on the Mini.

Can anyone share with me how to accomplish this Time Machine Back-Up for this configuration?

Don Barar

2. adam9c1 macrumors 68000

adam9c1

3. dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

4. chabig macrumors 603

I’m glad that helped. I use my Mini for the same purpose. I have noticed that sometime Time Machine server won’t work after a reboot and have to go back to Sharing settings and cycle File Sharing off and on.

5. dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Hi C:

Is that for a reboot of the Mini or the computer you are attempting to back-up?

Don

6. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

FWIW, for anybody wanting to backup TM clients, we run a Synology NAS as a TM Server/destination and it has been very good. No issues, no permissions problems....no complaints. Easy to set up user accounts and assign quotas.

Biggest client data set: one Mac with a 7TB RAID array attached. First backup took a couple days to complete, but has been perfect.