OSX software update...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 199708, Dec 5, 2008.

1. 199708 macrumors 6502

OSX keeps asking me to update my safari browser to 3.2.1. thing is I deleted my safari and installed firefox. but safari keeps asking me to update it. Is there a way to remove it from the software update program?.

im new to mac.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just choose to ignore the update. deleting Safari in the Applications folder wont entirely remove Safari its just the frontend application to the WebKit frameworks. many processes in OS X use Safari/Webkit like Dashboard, iTunes Store etc. so its always good idea to keep it up to date.

also the obligatory why have you ditched Safari so quickly for Firefox? Safari integrates very well into the system i.e. with Mail, iCal, iPhoto etc. and is a pretty decent stock browser in contrast to IE in Windows. but if you use Firefox for the features that Safari lack then fair enough use what you wish.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ Yeah, regardless of if you like Safari or not, you shouldn't delete it, it's the "system" browser. It does no harm it sitting there in your Applications folder unused.

4. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I hope this is not a hijack of the OP's question (I don't think it is), but is there a way to completely remove an update from the list instead of having to click ignore each time?

5. frenetic macrumors regular

Just select the update and press the delete button (or choose "ignore update" from the menu bar) - like this it won't show up anymore. Resetting can be done by "reset ignored updates".

Cheers

6. MrMinor macrumors 6502

7. 199708 thread starter macrumors 6502

MrMinor thats what im asking.
    frentic: thats the answer i was looking for also.

richthomas: I used safari on my pc, wasnt happy with it at all. used it on my mac for 2 weeks thinking id be happy but i wasnt. its lacking alot of things mainly plugins and the way it formats some sites i visit.
    i dont use ichat, imail, iphoto etc. i use entourage, msn, photoshop for all my needs.

8. frenetic macrumors regular

I understand you don't want to use Safari, but I wouldn't delete it anyway. Like it ot nor, you use Safari for setting the default browser in the system. The other apps you can safely delete (if you don't use garageband, do uninstall it because it comes with several gigs of sound samples) but Safari I would definitely keep. Just a tip.

9. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I deleted it about a year ago, and no issues cropped up.