Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
OK. I admit it. I am a clean freak when it comes to the files on my computer. I guess this comes from all of the years that I have been a PC user. So, a few days after I got my new PB, I decided I wanted to organize my Applications folder. I created a folder called iApps and I moved all of them (iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, etc) into their new home.

After I did this all of a sudden software update wants me to download iPhoto 2 and the iDVD 4.0.1 update refuses to show up. Took me about 2 minutes to figure out why this happened. You would think that Apple's Software Update utility would look in the ENTIRE Applications folder for programs to update, but it doesn't. It is a little irritating because now I have to live with a cluttered mess in my Applications folder.

Done with the vent, now to the question. Does anyone know a slick way to use hidden soft links created within the terminal to make Software Update think that the iApps are in the root Applications folder? Or do I just have to live with it?

Hickman

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Brian Hickman said:

Done with the vent, now to the question. Does anyone know a slick way to use hidden soft links created within the terminal to make Software Update think that the iApps are in the root Applications folder? Or do I just have to live with it?

Hickman
You're better off leaving the Applications where they are.

I can see wanting to keep a computer neat. However, after a certain point, things become harder. Also, depending on how an application update happens, you could wind up with two copies of the application. The old on where you put it and a new in in place of the softlink.

Also, the filelinks could break more things. Also, you now have to manage application locations and the softlinks.

I suggest you live with it. You could always arrange the applications in the folder so they're grouped by type.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i've tried organizing my Applications folder that way too. Don't even think about it. You'll be making a HUGE mess. Unless you came up with some bizarre way to organize them into files, you'll have copies of the same app everywhere, look in the wrong folder for x application, etc.
The best you can do is use color labels. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.