OSX Startup chime

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LagBox, Sep 29, 2012.

1. LagBox macrumors newbie

I've been reading about this, and from what I've heard the Chime is initiated by the OS but located on the logic board ROM. If this is the case, would changing it require physically modifying the logic board?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes. It is not possible to change it, really. I mean, technically anything is possible, but unless you have some ridiculously complicated and expensive tech, no dice.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The chime is initiated by the logicboard's firmware, not the OS. That is why a Mac will still chime when no drives are present. The chime is within the OpenFirmware/EFI firmware on the logicboard. On a very few Macs it can be changed by changing the sound data a firmware update for the machine and reflashing the firmware. One of those few machines is the B&W PowerMac G3. No Intell Mac can have its boot chime changed. I believe the B&W G3 is the last machine that can have its boot chime changed.

4. LagBox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply! And thanks for the correction on the initiation of the chime. I wonder if I'm the only person who thought about how awesome it would be to have "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees play every time I booted my laptop.