OSX Startup chime

LagBox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
I've been reading about this, and from what I've heard the Chime is initiated by the OS but located on the logic board ROM. If this is the case, would changing it require physically modifying the logic board?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yes. It is not possible to change it, really. I mean, technically anything is possible, but unless you have some ridiculously complicated and expensive tech, no dice.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The chime is initiated by the logicboard's firmware, not the OS. That is why a Mac will still chime when no drives are present. The chime is within the OpenFirmware/EFI firmware on the logicboard. On a very few Macs it can be changed by changing the sound data a firmware update for the machine and reflashing the firmware. One of those few machines is the B&W PowerMac G3. No Intell Mac can have its boot chime changed. I believe the B&W G3 is the last machine that can have its boot chime changed.

LagBox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
The chime is initiated by the logicboard's firmware, not the OS. That is why a Mac will still chime when no drives are present. The chime is within the OpenFirmware/EFI firmware on the logicboard. On a very few Macs it can be changed by changing the sound data a firmware update for the machine and reflashing the firmware. One of those few machines is the B&W PowerMac G3. No Intell Mac can have its boot chime changed. I believe the B&W G3 is the last machine that can have its boot chime changed.
Thank you for the reply! And thanks for the correction on the initiation of the chime. I wonder if I'm the only person who thought about how awesome it would be to have "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees play every time I booted my laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.