OSX startup disk repair-Onyx reccomends

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jsjr88, Mar 23, 2012.

1. jsjr88 macrumors newbie

Onyx recommended a start up disk repair today. I have not noticed any issues in performance so I am unsure what to think of this. I am using a late 2011 13" MBP that came with lion installed. I have upgraded the RAM to 8 gb. Do you think this start up disk repair is necessary and exactly what would it do? It doesn't clear out all of my programs and give me a start from scratch does it?

Thank you

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I can tell from your post that you are unfamiliar with the term "startup disk repair". All this does is the following:

Verifies / repairs the disk's underlying file system structure, fixing to the best of its ability any errors it finds.

This is the equivalent of what Disk Utility does when you request it to repair a disk in both Mac OS X and Mac OS 9, as well as the same process as the CHKDSK command in Windows XP performs when run.

The good news: Running this is a good idea, because it will fix minor problems before they become major problems that lead to data loss.

The bad news: If it turns out your disk has errors that it cannot fix, back up your disk NOW. Reformat the disk, and restore your backup. All will be well again, but this process may take a while to complete.