OSX Tells me I have no camera installed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drewtime42o, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Drewtime42o macrumors newbie

Hi all, I currently have an early 2008 MBP 2.4 GHz core 2 duo with 6gigs ram running 10.7.5.

Whenever i go to use anything like photo booth, FaceTime or anything else with the ability to use the isight camera OSX thinks I don't have one installed and Im not able to adjust any settings. I get the camera with the line through it or the "no camera installed" error message. This is super annoying specially because my brother and his girlfriend just had a baby and i can't even FaceTime them to see her!!

If anyone has had this problem before please help! Im about to kill my laptop!!:mad::mad:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Has it always done this? When did it last work? Has your Macbook ever had any work done to it or been opened? Does it show up under the USB section of System Profiler?

3. Drewtime42o thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't went to use anything like this for a while but it definitely used to work because i have tons of photo booth pics and videos when i was messing around with the various moving backgrounds. So maybe a year i would say??

The laptop was opened by me one time only to put in more ram which basically consist of taking the batter out and removing 2 screes to show the memory slots.

Under the USB section I only see thinks for the internal keyboard, IR receiver and bluetooth USB host controller.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It sounds like your Macbook doesn't even see it connected. One thing you can try, if you're willing of course, is to take your Macbook apart and disconnect/reconnect the iSight cable on the inside. You'll have to follow iFixit's steps to locate the cable and properly disconnect and reconnect it.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Is the little green light on at all?

Some people with that issue have reported some success with resetting either NVRAM/PRAM or SMC, or both. Reports seem to be mixed, however. So, I'd give it a shot and cross my fingers.

(Yeah, I know it sounds weird, because Apple's support articles for those resets say nothing about the iSight camera or any other USB device. Never hurts to at least try, though.)

Still others have reported mixed success with creating a new user profile, and logging in with that to use the camera. This suggests that there may be some sort of corruption with the normal user profile being used.

6. Drewtime42o thread starter macrumors newbie

No green light on what-so-ever, tried both of the resets that you suggested and still no change. I guess this is gonna require a trip to apple which I am sure is going to cost me a pretty penny. Ill try the new user thing but if that doesn't work it appears I am out of options :(

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sounds like a hardware problem. HP = SMC Reset.