OSX "terminal server" (ala Windows)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GregA, Jun 7, 2007.

1. GregA macrumors 65816

A few days ago, I installed Windows Terminal Server at the charity I do work for. Wow - I'm very impressed.

I'd bought a cheap Dell for A$1000 (Probably US$650 for similar) which I installed it on. Now I have 5 crappy old Windows machines connecting straight to the terminal server (acting as dumb terminals). They are incredibly fast/snappy. I have no complaints (...except that I'll need to buy a different version of virus protection).

(I would do the above with any customer - except it's too expensive. As a charity, MS sold me the software for <A$100. Otherwise it's just <A$2000... I'd prefer to buy new PCs instead.)

I want Apple to release the same, for OSX. One mac pro could probably turn 10-20 crappy old PCs into OSX terminals. In one swoop, the whole office would have become "Macs". Who needs OSX for non-Apple PCs?
    ... If Apple sold OSX Server with a 10 terminal license, it would be very doable.
    ... Hell, if regular OSX allowed even 2 remote terminal clients, many households could buy an iMac and convert their old Windows (or old Macs) into OSX.

Very appealing.
    Is it just me? Would others want to do this?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Interesting idea, but highly unlikely, at least implemented in the way you envision it. One big reason for that is that Apple already has NetBoot, and NetBoot only works with Macs.

(For those who don't know: NetBoot is a technology to enable Macs to be booted from a disk image hosted somewhere on the network. It is the first step towards making "dumb terminal" Macs.)

3. GregA thread starter macrumors 65816

Does this negate the plausibility of a OSX Terminal application running on Win32?

Would you like it if it did?

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

On this subject, here's something to keep an eye on: Aqua Connect which "makes it possible for diverse workstations and compatible devices to function as thin clients of a MAC OS X Server running Mac OS X based programs" according to the company. Their product's "future features" list is an interesting read...

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Personally, I think it's certainly plausible, but highly unlikely. My reasoning is based on Apple's (understandable) reluctance to support Windows directly.

I'm neutral (don't like, don't dislike) the idea of an OSX Terminal application on Windows, since the only place I use Windows is at work, and only then because I have to.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i am hesitant to bring back this thread. it has been a while, but i have some pretty significant updates that must be documented for future reference.

i have found a program named iRRAP. its not technically a terminal session, but it "cuts" (for lack of better work) each window and then sends to the client computer via VNC/RDP. its a reasonable work around i think. im going to give it a trial, shall report back any experiences once i get it up and running :)