OSX Tiger Install DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Black Box, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Black Box macrumors newbie

Looking to buy a used 17" Macbook Pro 2.33 and many of them don't come with the original install DVDs. I'd like to grab one off of Ebay but it looks like they're machine specific and I can't find the info as to WHICH disc I should get for this specific computer.

I'm sure I can call Apple for the original install DVD and they'll be more than happy to send it to me for some jaw-dropping price. These DVDs have #'s on them that look something like this: 2Z691-5930-A. Does anyone know the correct disc # for the 17" Macbook Pro 2.33?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think Apple will provide replacement model specific restore discs at a reasonable price.

Or you can purchase the Tiger install DVD.

3. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Why don't you just find/buy a retail copy of Tiger? This way you do not have to worry about it being machine specific...

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Might as well just get leopard if you're gonna buy a retail install dvd ;)

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

You can't buy an Intel version of Tiger. The retail copies are PowerPC only.

6. cMacSW macrumors regular

Don't bother with Tiger, go straight to Leopard.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Since I don't know if $32 shipped for a two disk set is "jaw dropping" to you, I will say that is what the last set I ordered from them cost and they arrived in about three days. Definitely a whole lot better than gambling on getting the right set from eBay (at whatever price and having to be concerned about what you will actually get).

Just call Apple support and tell them you need to purchase a set of "fulfillment disks"- they will get your serial number to use to make sure they send you the exact right set and they will be on the way to you with no worries.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Tiger retail is made only for PPC. DOES NOT WORK ON INTEL MACS.

You need the original system disks or buy Leopard.

9. Black Box thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks sickmacdoc

Appreciate the response - $32 is definitely not jaw dropping to me so I'll give the fulfillment disks a shot! I was expecting a $100 + premium for going through Apple. As many have pointed out, I believe the there is no retail version of Tiger for intel machines. Also, I'd love to upgrade to Leopard but its too costly as many of the programs I use aren't compatible yet. So no Leopard for me.