OSX Tiger straight to Lion???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Joshwawilson, Apr 28, 2011.

  1. Joshwawilson macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    Location:
    Missouri
    #1
    I still have OSX Tiger runnning on my iMac, however because I have Tiger I cannot update to iTunes 10 which means I cant at all use my new iPad 2 with iTunes...no syncing/charging/homesharing/anything. I dont want to buy Leopard/ Snow Leopard with Tiger just around the corner.

    But the question is, will I be able to upgrade my iMac (2008 version) straight to Lion? :confused:
     
  2. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2009
    #2
    You'll have to wait until WWDC so we can learn more. ;)
     
  3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Location:
    Winnipeg, MB
    #3
    I've heard rumblings that they are ceasing support for the Core Duo computers that were the first Intel generation. If memory serves, this is everything before the end of 2006. I might be wrong about Lion not working on those though. If I'm right though, you'll have no problem with Lion.
     
  4. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

    milbournosphere

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #4
    This. I do believe that they're cutting support for 32-bit Intel chips, and opting for a 64-bit kernel only. And given Apple's recent focus on performance and multi-core processing, I consider it a good bet that they will.
     
  5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

    velocityg4

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    Location:
    Georgia
    #5
    From what I have read Lion of the developer previews the Core Duo is unsupported. However, with just minor modifications you can run Lion without any issues on those systems.

    http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/03/07/lion-runs-on-core-duo
     
  6. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
  7. Joshwawilson thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    Location:
    Missouri
    #7
    Because I don't want to pay $130+ when lion will be out soon, also it's my parents iMac.

    Hopefully I'll be getting my own MPB around Feb of 2012 when they refresh it again
     
  8. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2010
    #8
    Well I guess you have two choices then:

    Wait until Lion is released to find out if you can upgrade from Tiger or if you'll have to upgrade to SL first OR

    Upgrade to SL now and enjoy using iTunes.

    If it were me, I'd spend the money to upgrade to SL now.
     
  9. MSlaw macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2010
  10. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #10
    Snow Leopard is $30 and will definitely work until 2012 and beyond.

    Lion has NO PRICES at this time.
     
  11. Joshwawilson thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    Location:
    Missouri
    #11
    So would I, but I would have to buy leopard first...$130+$30.
     
  12. windels macrumors regular

    windels

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #12
  13. djrod macrumors 65816

    djrod

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Location:
    Madrid - Spain
    #13
  14. Joshwawilson thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    Location:
    Missouri
    #14
  15. Joshwawilson thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    Location:
    Missouri
    #15
  16. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #16
    99% of your software from tiger will work. Some might need update, usually free.
     
  17. Joshwawilson thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    Location:
    Missouri
    #17
    Ok sweet! Thanks a lot!
     

Share This Page