Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Qs @ osX:

1. how do I delete something from the garbage that won't go away? I have had this problem with disk aliases - folders that were generated when entire disks were being copied or backed up but needed to be trashed for some reason
my garbage is always full now, only that one annoying little empty folder in it - how do I get rid of it?

2. how do I find files to save when I need to wipe an osX disk and reinitialize - i.e. Safari prefs and links, that kind of thing
I need to start over but don't want to be missing anything important

(pls reply via email if you can spare a minute - rbp@4u2bu.org - don't know if I'll be able to find my way back here)

thanks

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: OSX trash/prefs etc

Originally posted by rbp
1. how do I delete something from the garbage that won't go away? I have had this problem with disk aliases - folders that were generated when entire disks were being copied or backed up but needed to be trashed for some reason
my garbage is always full now, only that one annoying little empty folder in it - how do I get rid of it?
You go to terminal (in your Applications > Utilities folder) and type in the following:
Code:
sudo rm -rf
and dont forget to leave a space. Drag the file into the Terminal window. Press enter. Enter your admin password, and then voila :)
2. how do I find files to save when I need to wipe an osX disk and reinitialize - i.e. Safari prefs and links, that kind of thing
I need to start over but don't want to be missing anything important
Preferences are in your users folder. Open the Library folder, and find the Preferences folder. The one for Safari is called com.apple.Safari.plist The history stuff should be in the Library folder as well.

If ya need more help, feel free to email me at jane_lee@mac.com or AIM: aaplgoddess (and there's always Jabber: jane_lee@jabber.org)

rbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
OK here's what happened:

Last login: Tue Feb 10 12:01:27 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[rOLf-peCHUkass-Computer:~] rbp% sudo rm -rf /Volumes/120.BACKup/.Trashes/501/mdaklk /Volumes/120.BACKup/.Trashes/501/mklas
Password:
rm: /Volumes/120.BACKup/.Trashes/501/mdaklk/$$$$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.