OSX "unexpectedly quits" after waking up from sleep on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pat H, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Pat H macrumors member

I've been a windows user all my life, and I switched to a mac a few weeks ago because I was tired of all the instability with windows and the crappy hardware that many PC manufacturers turned out. Since I got my Mac pro, OSX has "unexpectedly quit" 2 times after waking the computer up from sleep mode. I'm assuming this is the Mac equivalent of the blue screen of death, and quite frankly I haven't experienced an OS-wide malfunction in almost a year on any of my PC's.

I realize that OSX Leopard is still waiting for the 10.5.2 update, but just how unstable is .1? Somehow I doubt this is normal, and I'm wondering if it's because of installed software or some other issue in system settings. I still know relatively nothing about OSX vs what I know about Windows, so I'm trying not to pass judgement on the OS until I get some input. On a side note, Adobe Encore CS3 also isn't functioning on leopard even with the supposed compatibility updates, so right now I have a several hundred dollar software suite that's partially non-functional. So far this transition hasn't "just worked" by any means :(

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

As in you get a grey box asking you to turn off your computer? First, open disk utility and repair your permissions. If that doesn't help, I recommend you reinstall from the disks included with your computer. Just one in and restart holding down the "c" key until the apple appears. Proceed and you want to archive and install.

3. Pat H thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'll try repairing the permissions and see if it happens again.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You can open up the Console (Applications/Utilities). Go to Open Quickly-->panic.log (that's the kernel panic log, aka crash log)

Copy and paste the last entry here; we can then read what it says and see if we can figure it out.

5. f1 macrumors 6502

Did you upgrade the RAM on your mac pro?? Bad RAM or improperly installed RAM is one a pretty common cause for kernel panics on a mac.

6. Pat H thread starter macrumors member

Ok, here goes.....

----------
    Crash Log for 2-3-08
    ---------

7. Pat H thread starter macrumors member

I did actually, 4GB worth. But it's all registering in the system specs as "status: OK" and the sticks are apple certified, error correcting and equipped with heat sinks, so they're by no means garbage sticks (got 'em from transintl.com). But I'd really hate for this to be the problem because I'd rather not take out a mortgage to buy apple's ram.

Also, don't know if it would have anything to do with anything, but I did mistakenly install them improperly the first time (didn't pair them right), so the extra ones weren't registerring. But I went back in and moved the sticks to the proper configuration so they registered sucessfully. Did I maybe fry something? I really hope not :eek:

8. f1 macrumors 6502

Just because your RAM is showing up as ok in system profiler doesn't mean its not defective. I remeber when i upgraded the RAM in my macbook, it showed up in system profiler as being "ok" and i also ran Tech Tool Deluxe diagnostics and the RAM test passed. Had the RAM removed and went back to my reseller for a swap and everything was fine. I would suggest taking out your upgraded RAM and trying out your computer with just the standard apple ram it came with, and if that works you need to go back to wherever you bought the RAM and have it swapped. If your problems persist contact apple.

9. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

I have this problem OP

OP, I have this same problem. I have a Mac Pro (not this revision, but one revision back). When I sleep the computer there is a chance that the OS will unexpectedly quit and force a hard reset. This chance increases as the length of sleep increases. Sometimes it will sleep, then immediately wake up showing the "unexpected quit" grey box of death. Sometimes it will sleep and I can leave it on all night, and it will wake up normally. Usually if I leave it sleeped all night, when I wake it up, I have a kernel crash on my hands.

I'm pretty sure it's not our RAM. It is unclear why a RAM issue would only manifest itself in this way. I, too, have ECC / Heatsinked aftermarket RAM, from owc.

In my case I am pretty sure that it has something to do with one of my USB peripherals. Try this simple test: unplug all of your peripherals. Now sleep the computer and wake it up a hundred times. See if you can get it to crash. I can't. I'm starting to lean towards my Logitech MX revolution or my Griffin iMic as the problem, but I am not sure yet.

Here is a knowledgebase article. Please let me know what you've come up with.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303698

Edit: By the way, there are a few ways to sleep and wake up the computer while testing peripherals. One is to leave the keyboard in and use it to wake up, the power button to sleep, then leave the mouse in and check the keyboard. My feeling is that it probably is not the keyboard, though.

Edit: By the way, I was just checking your error log. It looks like a firewire audio device is the cause of your problems. If you have a firewire audio device plugged in to your computer, I would be mighty suspicious of it.