Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoCentsBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2018
Globally
G'Day One & All;

Apple Mac Software "OSX Uninstaller" by Guangxi Nanning Jiaodongliang Computer Inc.
Started this thread as I am unable to find any reviews on this program "Osx Uninstaller", plus a Google search on the Publisher: Guangxi Nanning Jiaodongliang Computer Inc also draws a blank. Osx Uninstaller boasts:
  • Easy To Operate.
  • Fast Removal.
  • Complete Uninstall.
  • Forcibly Uninstall.
  • Removes difficult and otherwise irremovable programs.
To me it looks suspicious due to the fact that there are no reviews and the Publisher seems non existent for computer software. When I was a Windows user I cherished Revo Uninstaller as it actually removed a couple of nasty Malware/Virus Programs so MacBooster6 may be my answer as it seems to have been updated and improved since I last looked at it; plus its getting more favourable reviews than Osx Uninstaller.

So initially I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of Osx Uninstaller, but it is starting to look like a somewhat dubious investment @ $40.00USD for a lifetime program; MacBooster maybe a better alternative. What do you think?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
"AppDelete" and "AppCleaner" are free and will remove most programs that do not have a built in uninstaller. There is no way I would pay $40.00 for a lifetime program. Who knows when the developer will disappear and the lifetime program dies. Pass it up.

TwoCentsBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2018
Globally
"AppDelete" and "AppCleaner" are free and will remove most programs that do not have a built in uninstaller. There is no way I would pay $40.00 for a lifetime program. Who knows when the developer will disappear and the lifetime program dies. Pass it up.
[doublepost=1518250354][/doublepost]Totally agree! However it is a Catch 22 for me having a low IT IQ; the cost for me to take my Computer to the shop is $50.00USD easy. I've bought MacBooster for $40.00USD, so it comes with full time protection, malware scan etc and I can erase programs completely through it. Well I hope so anyways... Ran MacBooster 6 which found 1 Virus and 1 Malware and the laptop really seems to working quicker.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Guangxi and Nanning are place names.
Jiaodongliang translates as angular momentum.

Could be a one guy shop.
$40 seems steep.

TwoCentsBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2018
Globally
Guangxi and Nanning are place names.
Jiaodongliang translates as angular momentum.

Could be a one guy shop.
$40 seems steep.
[doublepost=1518353360][/doublepost]I am very happy with MacBooster 6 and my Mac is definitely running quicker. There are reviews about MacBooster 6, yet none for "Osx Uninstaller" and the Publisher, so it just smells a bit off. I paid $42.00USD with a coupon for MacBooster 6 and I am :)

Cheers Bob

Last edited:

mactostone

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018
I just have some doubts. MacBooster belongs to IObit so you think it is much more reliable than the Osx Uninstaller you mentioned? Then what about the overall performance? Have you tried Osx Unistaleller before making this comparation?

Personally I am running Cleanmymac on my MBA, and I think the user interface and also features of Cleanmymac and MacBooster look quite alike. Not sure which one comes first? I have not use MacBooster but I think Cleanmymac (from macpaw) is also good and truthworthy to use, and the price is also $40.

From the information you get, Osx Uninstaller might be from an independent developer or maybe a small team. From the screenshot it provides on the homepage, it looks like to be a single-feature tool so the charge of $30/40 is indeed a little higher, unless it does perform excellent in uninstalling stubborn or malicious apps.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What do you think?
"AppDelete" and "AppCleaner" are free and will remove most programs that do not have a built in uninstaller.
I do not recommend AppDelete, App Cleaner or any other uninstaller app. No cleaner or app removal software does a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
You don't need "cleaner" apps for your Mac, and many of them can cause more harm than good. They will not make your Mac run quicker.
Not a chance I would buy an uninstaller for a Mac
Now this is a well-informed Mac user.

Reactions: CoastalOR

temine

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2019
New York
i used Osx Uninstaller before, i did help me to remove some problem apps, so i can make sure that it does not the dubious one as you said, but I didn't use other removal apps like MacBooster or AppCleaner before, so i can't do any comparasion for them. there are now many uninstall utilities provide a free trial or 30/60 money back guarantee, so you can decide to keep it or not after trying to use them on your pc.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I do not recommend AppDelete, App Cleaner or any other uninstaller app. No cleaner or app removal software does a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
You don't need "cleaner" apps for your Mac, and many of them can cause more harm than good. They will not make your Mac run quicker.

Now this is a well-informed Mac user.
I would say you're both making blanket statements based on a few extreme apps and it simply isn't true. I'm a pro-level user and I use AppCleaner, it's a great little program. It works exactly as advertised for all but the most stubborn of apps (anything from Microsoft or Adobe, for example). I could manually track these folders down in the Group and User Library folders, but I see no need when this free app does it for me. I have not used AppDelete, so I can't speak to that one.

That being said, I completely agree when it comes to any app that claims to automatically "clean", "boost", "optimize", or "protect" your Mac. Those apps always do more harm than good, and as you point out, will absolutely not make your Mac run quicker. They all remind me of Norton Utilities back in the day.

For the average user who doesn't know how to do it manually, I would highly recommend AppCleaner. It won't hurt your Mac, and while it doesn't catch every last file from every last app you delete, it does catch most of them — which is better than nothing. I wouldn't pay for an app that does this though.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I would say you're both making blanket statements based on a few extreme apps and it simply isn't true.
They are not blanket statements, because they're based on testing I've performed over the years with every uninstaller app I've mentioned. They're not extreme apps, but simply the most popular ones that people frequently ask about. Yes, they remove some of the files associated with apps, such as .plist files, but usually leave behind the larger files, like cache files. If the goal is simply to remove some of the clutter, these apps will help. If the goal is to free up drive space, they're not the best solution.

mactofan

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2019
Dubious? For no reviews? I do a search and there already exist several reviews about Osx Uninstaller on some software sites... And yes, I am an user of Osx Uninstaller. I get to know this software because one day I searched for the solution to uninstall Fortnite andthen visited a tutorial in its blog. I can say I choose this app for several reasons:
1. it provides 60-day money back gurantee in my order. I have emailed its support team and they confirmed that if the app fails to uninstall apps on my Mac, or if I don't satisfy with its performance, I can request a full refund within valid period.
2. As a lightweight app (about 3.2MB), its interface is lite and intuitive. Running this app won't occupy too much resources. I use it to remove several apps and it works exactly what it claims. As for other large/stubborn apps, I have not encountered so I have no feedback in this regards (if I do have the issue in future, I can ask for solution provided by its professional team)...
I just think we should make a valid conclusion after we did try it out.

Last edited:

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
The best and most efective method - learn the tools you are using.

Over the past 5 years it appears users have become so lazy using app's for everything. If people stopped for 5 minutes and learnt what the OS can already do, there would be no need for all of the half baked **** apps that do the most basic of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.