OSX update alerts ... nag nag nag

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by aicul, Jun 14, 2014.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Anyone know if it is possible to disable the OSX software update alerts. Specifically those regarding OSX.

It's just a pain of having these alerts and I would like to do the updates at my rhythm (and at my risk). And can do without that daily nagging

Checked various preferences but cannot seem to locate where this can be set.

cheers

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe if you go to the App Store pane in System Prefs and uncheck the box at the top there is will stop auto checking for updates.

[​IMG]

3. BeckyJL macrumors newbie

preferences -> system -> Software update

On my (3 year old) Macbook Air (not upgraded to Yosemite) you click the apple icon in upper left corner of screen, then go to "system preferences" then under the "System" category look for "Software Update" (icon is blue world with arrows around it) and click that, then un-check box for automatic updates. Hallelujah! Now it will stop nagging me to update to Yosemite, which I understand is likely to slow down my (old) computer. Of course, now I have to manually go to software update (under preferences) from time to time and check for other updates. But that is far less work than constantly swiping the Yosemite reminder to get it out of my way.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You can simply go to App Store / Updates, on the Yosemite window, do : right click / "Hide update".

Done. ;)

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Or just tell it to automatically do the updates.

I never thought I would do such a thing, but since the automatic updates trail all the bleeding-edge installers, I decided that I personally did not add value to the process. On one machine I have turned on auto-update. No regrets so far.

A.

6. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

The purpose of hiding the update is not to select each individual one and telling it to hide.

The purpose is to benefit from the download and to do them when the time is right (say once a week).

Sorry, Don't see the purpose of your suggestion.

----------

Until you discover that an update has some side effect on another piece of software.

I use the mac professionally so I cannot have a piece of software not work because Apple just decided to push some update. And I do want the updates, but on a schedule that meets my professional schedule.

I don;t see where the above is so difficult for apple