Osx update for MBP late 2008, 10.5.8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adrian S., May 4, 2015.

1. Adrian S. macrumors newbie

Dear community,

I use my mbp late 2008 (with 8GB RAM) to occasionally record with logic pro 8: it still works fine! I am also a heavily reliant on Dropbox.

Lately I have been getting emails from Dropbox, saying they discontinue 10.5.8 support, thus forcing me to update my osx.

What OSX would you guys recommend me updating to? Knowing that I need all my processor speed to record with logic pro 8. Also, (if possible): I would like to save me the troubles of reinstalling logic pro, it is a massive program.

Thanks for the advice!

Adrian

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Mountain Lion (10.8), at the very least. Snow Leopard and Lion no longer receive security updates.

And if you're doing this for a living, you should consider upgrading your hardware to something recent.

3. Adrian S. thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. Can I upgrade straight to mountain lion, or should I first update to snow leopard?

Thanks for the reply.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You have to purchase Snow Leopard first.

Mountain Lion is no longer available for purchase.

Only Yosemite is available for purchase.

5. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

7. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

The OP will either have to pick an OS compatible with Logic Pro 8, or upgrade to Logic Pro 9/X to use 10.9 or newer...

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Considering the OP's hardware's age, he/she will be better off upgrading both hardware and software to something more recent.

9. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

That really depends.

Does spending $2000-4000 on a new computer actually bring anything the OP really needs? Is the extra computing power needed? Or the features Logic Pro 9/X possibly bring?

The OP might have software plugins or hardware, that are not compatible with current versions of Logic Pro or OS X. That might be hundreds, or even thousands of dollars more to spend to get everything running.

Then there's the time and effort to set everything up.

It's possible to get a perfectly functional setup by purchasing Snow Leopard for $20. Is the advantage going to be worth spending at least 100 times as much?

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

For an older MacBook such as the OP's, either 10.6.8 or 10.8.5 might be the best choices.

Something important to keep in mind:
    I believe 10.6.8 will be "the faster" of the two, in day-to-day usage.

Sticking with 10.6.8 will also permit the OP to use older (i.e., PowerPC only) software, because the Rosetta function is present in 10.6 but missing in 10.7 and all later OS's.

I still use 10.6.8 on my 2010 MacBook Pro -- runs fast, runs smooth, runs stable.
    Why change?

11. Adrian S. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for your different insights.

Here's my conclusion of my initial problem:

- I keep my late 2008 MBP installed with 10.5.8, running logic pro 8 smoothly as ever.
    - I work around dropbox

This leaves me happy:

- I still have a smooth running computer
    - This leaves me enjoying life in stead of buying computers and spending $$$
    - This means I save a little piece of the planet

This leaves me somewhat frustrated

- Howcome operating systems continuously get heavier? What does yosemite deliver more (in comparison to e.g. leopard) that it would have to use that amount of RAM?
    - I'll have to work around dropbox

This leaves me somewhat puzzled:

- why do so many people step into the logic of big companies trying to sell computers? Why do so many people consider it normal that every 3 years a computer (or OS) needs to be replaced by another?

Thank you once again trying to help me, I think doing nothing and work around my problem is the most sensible thing to do.

Cheers Adrian.

12. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

At some point, you'll have to look into replacing that laptop, as it's already 7 years old, and the list of software supporting 10.5 (or even 10.6) is getting smaller by the day.

All OSes will get bigger and consume more system resources over time. As new features are introduced and processors become more powerful, the OS will also evolve. Some of the changes are visible, others are under the hood, but they're still there. But some of the changes from 10.5 to today include fixing certain security flaws, adding support for newer standards for networking, peripherals, etc., and introducing features like continuity and handoff.

On the hardware side, so many manufacturers build "disposable" machines that get quickly outdated and whose specs are so lacking at launch that they quickly become less useful. On the OS side, changes have to be made in order to support new technologies (i.e. USB 3.0, USB-C, etc.), shore up security issues, introduce new features, etc. And with both Apple and Microsoft moving to a free (or partially free) model for OS releases, there really is no incentive NOT to upgrade unless you're tied to a specific piece of software that will not run on the current version of the OS you prefer.

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Because technology gets better.

As it gets better the OS and apps change to take advantage of the new power to do far more than before, currently it is 4K video and much better graphics needed.

Yosemite will run fine on 2gb of RAM if you do one thing at a time, but I suspect that you no longer use a computer like that and have many things open all running through the OS all using more and more resources to provide more better and faster produicts software and abilities.

If you don't like it then don't use computers it is the nature of the beast....