Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adrian S.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2015
Dear community,

I use my mbp late 2008 (with 8GB RAM) to occasionally record with logic pro 8: it still works fine! I am also a heavily reliant on Dropbox.

Lately I have been getting emails from Dropbox, saying they discontinue 10.5.8 support, thus forcing me to update my osx.

What OSX would you guys recommend me updating to? Knowing that I need all my processor speed to record with logic pro 8. Also, (if possible): I would like to save me the troubles of reinstalling logic pro, it is a massive program.

Thanks for the advice!

Adrian

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Dear community,

I use my mbp late 2008 (with 8GB RAM) to occasionally record with logic pro 8: it still works fine! I am also a heavily reliant on Dropbox.

Lately I have been getting emails from Dropbox, saying they discontinue 10.5.8 support, thus forcing me to update my osx.

What OSX would you guys recommend me updating to? Knowing that I need all my processor speed to record with logic pro 8. Also, (if possible): I would like to save me the troubles of reinstalling logic pro, it is a massive program.

Thanks for the advice!

Adrian

Mountain Lion (10.8), at the very least. Snow Leopard and Lion no longer receive security updates.

And if you're doing this for a living, you should consider upgrading your hardware to something recent.

Adrian S.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2015
Mountain Lion (10.8), at the very least. Snow Leopard and Lion no longer receive security updates.

And if you're doing this for a living, you should consider upgrading your hardware to something recent.

I see. Can I upgrade straight to mountain lion, or should I first update to snow leopard?

Thanks for the reply.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
My bad. I was referring to the Mac App Store.

But why pay when Yosemite is free and more secure?

The OP will either have to pick an OS compatible with Logic Pro 8, or upgrade to Logic Pro 9/X to use 10.9 or newer...

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Considering the OP's hardware's age, he/she will be better off upgrading both hardware and software to something more recent.

That really depends.

Does spending $2000-4000 on a new computer actually bring anything the OP really needs? Is the extra computing power needed? Or the features Logic Pro 9/X possibly bring?

The OP might have software plugins or hardware, that are not compatible with current versions of Logic Pro or OS X. That might be hundreds, or even thousands of dollars more to spend to get everything running.

Then there's the time and effort to set everything up.

It's possible to get a perfectly functional setup by purchasing Snow Leopard for $20. Is the advantage going to be worth spending at least 100 times as much?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For an older MacBook such as the OP's, either 10.6.8 or 10.8.5 might be the best choices.

Something important to keep in mind:
I believe 10.6.8 will be "the faster" of the two, in day-to-day usage.

Sticking with 10.6.8 will also permit the OP to use older (i.e., PowerPC only) software, because the Rosetta function is present in 10.6 but missing in 10.7 and all later OS's.

I still use 10.6.8 on my 2010 MacBook Pro -- runs fast, runs smooth, runs stable.
Why change?

Adrian S.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2015
Thank you guys for your different insights.

Here's my conclusion of my initial problem:

- I keep my late 2008 MBP installed with 10.5.8, running logic pro 8 smoothly as ever.
- I work around dropbox

This leaves me happy:

- I still have a smooth running computer
- This leaves me enjoying life in stead of buying computers and spending $$$
- This means I save a little piece of the planet

This leaves me somewhat frustrated

- Howcome operating systems continuously get heavier? What does yosemite deliver more (in comparison to e.g. leopard) that it would have to use that amount of RAM?
- I'll have to work around dropbox

This leaves me somewhat puzzled:

- why do so many people step into the logic of big companies trying to sell computers? Why do so many people consider it normal that every 3 years a computer (or OS) needs to be replaced by another?

Thank you once again trying to help me, I think doing nothing and work around my problem is the most sensible thing to do.

Cheers Adrian.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

- I keep my late 2008 MBP installed with 10.5.8, running logic pro 8 smoothly as ever.
- I work around dropbox

This leaves me happy:

At some point, you'll have to look into replacing that laptop, as it's already 7 years old, and the list of software supporting 10.5 (or even 10.6) is getting smaller by the day.

- Howcome operating systems continuously get heavier? What does yosemite deliver more (in comparison to e.g. leopard) that it would have to use that amount of RAM?

All OSes will get bigger and consume more system resources over time. As new features are introduced and processors become more powerful, the OS will also evolve. Some of the changes are visible, others are under the hood, but they're still there. But some of the changes from 10.5 to today include fixing certain security flaws, adding support for newer standards for networking, peripherals, etc., and introducing features like continuity and handoff.

- why do so many people step into the logic of big companies trying to sell computers? Why do so many people consider it normal that every 3 years a computer (or OS) needs to be replaced by another?

On the hardware side, so many manufacturers build "disposable" machines that get quickly outdated and whose specs are so lacking at launch that they quickly become less useful. On the OS side, changes have to be made in order to support new technologies (i.e. USB 3.0, USB-C, etc.), shore up security issues, introduce new features, etc. And with both Apple and Microsoft moving to a free (or partially free) model for OS releases, there really is no incentive NOT to upgrade unless you're tied to a specific piece of software that will not run on the current version of the OS you prefer.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Because technology gets better.

- I work around dropbox

This leaves me happy:

Thank you once again trying to help me, I think doing nothing and work around my problem is the most sensible thing to do.

Cheers Adrian.

As it gets better the OS and apps change to take advantage of the new power to do far more than before, currently it is 4K video and much better graphics needed.

Yosemite will run fine on 2gb of RAM if you do one thing at a time, but I suspect that you no longer use a computer like that and have many things open all running through the OS all using more and more resources to provide more better and faster produicts software and abilities.

If you don't like it then don't use computers it is the nature of the beast....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.