OSX Update Memory Issue? Says it needs more than 5GB

Discussion in 'macOS' started by redclaire, Apr 12, 2010.

1. redclaire macrumors newbie

Hi

I want to install the recent update to Snow Leopard to my macbook. This update states it is 435.2 MB in size. When I try to install it it tells me I need 5.18 GB of space to do so, and as I only have 4 GB space at the moment that is a problem. Why does it need so much space? Will it give me the space back after installation? :confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you talking about actual HDD space or your system memory (RAM)?

It's a bit strange though, that it does need 5.18GB to install the update, but if you're talking about the storage capacity of your HDD (4GB and less), why don't you copy or delete some files?

It's not recommended to have less than 10% of the actual storage capacity of the HDD free.

Btw, the term "memory" is used for RAM, the actual storage capacity is referred to either by "space" or "storage capacity" or some other words, but not "memory".

3. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

OS X SL upgrade

It loads the necessary files onto your hard drive and then reboots to perform the actual upgrade and during the upgrade it cleans its self up by removing the files added before the reboot. I don't know why it is done that way this time but that is how Apple did it. No way around it you need to do some deleting to get there.

4. redclaire thread starter macrumors newbie

Space on my HDD. I'm currently deleting files etc, I've been having some problems with the HDD space decreasing the longer I have the machine on- starting up with about 5GB and decreasing to under 1GB in two or three hours. I think Firefox might be doing it, but I've switched to Chrome and the same thing seems to be happening. I use a lot of Flash apps (sigh).

Anyway, yes. The error box says "Your hard disk does not have enough space, you need 5.18 GB of space to download and install the updates." and tells me to delete files etc.

Which I am doing, but I am still confused about why it claims to need so much in the first place.

Apols for inconsistent use of "space" versus "memory" confusion. I will remember the difference.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You should never have that little amount of hard drive space available on your machine.

10% - 20% free is recommended.

6. redclaire thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks, that explains it then. Strange, but at least I know I'll get the space back and won't have to start making more room from scratch!
    :)