Osx Update Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Siron, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I just received my MBA. The first thing I did was to search for software updates. It found 8 including 10.5.2. I let it install and the first thing it did was to ask to reboot which it did and then it got hung at the "initializing installation". I shut the machine down with the power button and restarted. In the "install updates" folder I deselected the OSX update and it installed all of the other updates okay. I cannot update OSX as it just gets hung at the same point.
    Anyone had the same problem? I'm waiting for Apples support to open but if anyone has a fix please let me know.
    Thanks
    Alan

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

It's normal for the 10.5.2 update to take a while, potentially holding on a screen with no indication of status update (it says so in the update notes). How long did it appear to be doing nothing before you determined it had hung?

You can also try the manual installation instead of the Software Update version, as mentioned above.

See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307109

3. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

I left it for about half an hour last night while I was watching Idol. The progress bar was stuck at about 5-10% and I could move the window around and the bar was active in that I could see the pattern moving but there was absolutely no progress.
    Alan

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

30 minutes does seem like a long time for no progress. My installation was certainly much faster on my iMac coming from 10.5.1. Based on the update notes, I'd try the standalone installer at this point and see if that works.

5. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

Okay thanks. I've just downloaded it so I'll give it a try.
    Alan