OSX upgrade late 2007 macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sailor720, Feb 14, 2013.

1. sailor720 macrumors newbie

I have a late 07 macbook, 2ghz, 2gb ram running 10.5.8. I am starting to run into issues with being unable to run flash as chrome no longer supports 10.5 so I am thinking of upgrading. I can buy snow leopard for $20 and get another year or two out of my computer, is there any reason to buy lion or mountain lion for this machine? I am currently on a tight budget so a new machine isn't affordable for a while. I wasn't having any issues with leopard until it stopped being supported and don't do anything more intensive than office stuff, iphoto, browsing and music.
    Also will I be able to clean install snow lion from the disk I buy without my leopard disk, which is currently mia?
    thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

You could get more RAM, but that RAM gets expensive, since it is no longer mass produced.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard would be the best Mac OS X upgrade, stay away from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (if supported), as they should have at least 4 GB of RAM.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You won't be able to run Mountain Lion on the Macbook, Lion is the last version of Mac OS X it can run. If you're going to upgrade to Lion, you'll have to get the Snow Leopard disc in order to install it.

4GB of PC2-5300 is very cheap. Its price is still falling and is currently around $30 for 2x2GB sticks.

4. simsaladimbamba

Oh, then I was looking wrong earlier, where I looked on Newegg and Amazon for DDR2 SO-DIMM modules and a 4 GB one cost 60 USD or more and two 2 GB sticks cost 48 USD.