OSX upgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ejpwalker, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Ejpwalker macrumors newbie

Hi girls/ guys

I am thinking about upgrading my operating system on my G5 from 10.4.11 to OSX 5. The mac does not have a superdrive and can't take the OSX disc for OSX 5 that i have (which is on my Laptop Powerbook G4 as well)

Is it viable to install it remotely some how either from the Laptop or the sep external hard drive?

I Use the G5 mainly for music recording using Logic Pro 8 and thought upgrading the OSX slightly might help me out slightly?

CHeers guys....

2. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Use firewire target disk Mode to use your powerbooks dvd drive with your G5:) This is how you do it with Leopard as well:) http://lowendmac.com/misc/06/0710.html

3. Ejpwalker thread starter macrumors newbie

Osx

Thanks Mac man,

Does anyone think there will be any benefits upgrading from 4 - OSX 5 using Logic Pro 8?

Thanks. Paul

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I do, but opinions vary widely in this regard.

Assuming that you already have sufficient ram, HDD space and a decent video card, then I think most people would agree that 10.5 offers enough overall improvements to justify the price.

I certainly worked well for me & my QS 1.6.....

Also, I have done many, many FW Target disk mode installs as MacMan mentioned, so go for it & be happy :D

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You could use Target disk mode but instead of using the DVD to install a fresh install you could use CCC(Carbon Copy Cloner) to copy the whole disk.

6. INSURGENCYmusic macrumors member

INSURGENCYmusic

I was thinking about doing this too. Im in the same exact scenario as OP. and i have Leopard just sitting around. Im just afraid that something might mess up if i do an upgrade.

7. surroundfan macrumors 6502

I thought all G5s had at least a combo drive which would allow DVDs to be read... :confused:

8. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Do it, 10.5 is much better and supports way more software than 10.4.

On a G5, speed is no issue either.

And I'm pretty sure that all G5s came with at least a DVD-reader, as standard.

9. INSURGENCYmusic macrumors member

INSURGENCYmusic

Wow, It seems that I didn't understand the OP's question. yes I have a super drive, all g5's come with super drives. unless someone took it out or something. But my question was just regarding the upgrade to 10.5 in general.

Would everything work the same? Am I going to have to redownload a bunch of things, etc

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Everything should work, although for a lot of applications you should have the option of downloading a much more up to date version. Leopard is the oldest version of OS X that is really given decent support these days, since it introduced a whole lot of new APIs and stuff over Tiger than haven't changed substantially in either Snow Leopard or Lion.

11. Ejpwalker thread starter macrumors newbie

osx 10.5

Just to update that installing osx 10.5 through target mode worked fine and the G5 seems to be running well and of course through upgrading the OS various other bits of software can be upgraded as well

Im hopeful that overall it will run better, and perhaps a little smoother using Logic Pro 8

I was wondering about the comment regarding the graphics card on the G5 and whether upgrading the card would have a positive impact when running Logic Pro 8?

My system in 2GHz running with 4 gigs of ram. I'd like to upgrade to the full 8 gigs of ram which i'm sure would be noticeably better but the ram for these older G5's seems to be oddly expensive even now...

The G5 does have a DVD drive but does not take layered DVD's on this model

12. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'd make sure you need the RAM first 2GB is more than 8GB DDR3..

I'm gonna finally do the PS/AI check to make sure..I don't like making my wallet any lighter

13. INSURGENCYmusic macrumors member

INSURGENCYmusic

I paid about $140 this month for 8gb of RAM for my powermac G5. then paid about $96 for the x800 xt graphics. then about $400 worth of SSD's.
    and also 100 for a PCi sata card. So it's not cheap, but totally worth it for me, because I have 6 years of music work on PowerPC. Plus all the software instruments and organizing I did....

14. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

How has the X800 XT worked? I'm thinking of upgrading from a 9600 XT for general use/games/movies/photoshop/bragging rights.

15. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

The OP also asked, whether upgrading from 10.4 to 10.5 would make Logic 8 work better. Did you test, whether L8 runs better under 10.5 with the same hardware or after upgrading the hardware?

16. INSURGENCYmusic macrumors member

INSURGENCYmusic

so far so good. honestly, i haven't used it much. The I will be doing some video editing, which Is why I bought it. but so far its been great.
    no i havent tested. I havent upgraded to 10.5 yet. I dont think im going to do it. Im worried that I might lose some power. I want my powermac to be as efficient for music as possible. Im still waiting to see what people are saying.

17. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I guess that suspicion is justifiably, because one can read of many people that had L8 and upgraded to 10.5 and afterwards plugins were not working or they had to re-authorize each third party plugin again. There is also a story of someone that had never used propellerheads software, but there suddenly was a propellerheads folder, which caused Logic to quit after 1 sec., after removing that and some prefs it did work. But as always there will be people that will tell they have not any problems and the user must be the problem.

18. INSURGENCYmusic macrumors member

INSURGENCYmusic

Ok, so I upgraded to 10.5 yesterday because I got pissed that my computer crashed on me using 10.4. :p

So far so good. Very smooth, better than I expected. I'll keep u guys updated.